Thread: Indigestion/nausea

Indigestion/nausea

For years now I have suffered from what as far as I know is a unique problem. Up till I was 18 years old I never thought about mental health and took my physical good health for granted. I then started to suffer from episodes of nausea accompanied with upper abdominal gas (releived by belching). I though I would go to the doctor. After prescribing proton pump inbibitors (stops you producing as much stomach acid) with no success I was sent for an endoscopy to look for physical signs of causality. There was none! sound similar to anyone else? You dont even consider pyshosomatic factors at first!
    The Doc told me he thought it may be Psychological so "heres some Paroxetine" (a wonder drug he told me, not addictive he said). Well it helped and that disturbed me because it was confirmation that there was a mental connection. Years later I had paid for various tests privately to look for nutritional allergys etc, No help. When I saw Paroxetine on Panarama I s##T myself I went back to the Doctor. He seemed less keen on paroxetine (seems that the medical community has decided that didnt like it anymore) and told me I need to come off it! Well that was one of the hardest things I ever did. I have been taking 5HTP since and on the whole have managed with my symptoms although the quality of my life has signifcantly been affected. I now feel it may be time to reduce the 5HTP intake and as soon as I tried I to cut down I feel really bad again. Seems Im stuck with it, I only hope 5HTP doesnt cause long term complications. I would appreciate any feedback. As I said my problem as far as I can see is unique. But it is much much worse when I am anxious. Thanks for reading.

hi there ,i too have suffered with the EXACTsame symptoms for over 25 years!!i thoughti had cancer or sum such,the only difference is other than proton pump inhibitors,i've never been given anything else[other than loads of tests,that proved that my stress causes acid and it inflames my gullet]what was the med hhe gave for exactly??And what is 5htp?scuse my ignorance!Have you other symptoms or just your tum[isay just ,i KNOW how painful it can be]Love mary-rose.xxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

i think my problem lies between the boundaries of physiological and psychological ! I dont know which one perpetuates the other! I can say that when I am anxious or anxious about being anxious I get an attack. When I feel this way I am unable to travel (get very sick), unable to function normally (get dizzy/nausia), and i try to hide my symptoms by talking very little and avoiding situations where I will feel sick and fear actually Vomiting I am not phobic about Vomiting just would rather not do it in public. I have never been vomited as a result of my problem. All that comes up is AIR. Once the air is released then I feel better but the problem comes back minutes later. Something to do with stomach acid I spose. Whilst I have some insight into what is going on I can do nothing except take 5HTP (a natural herb serotonin pre-cursor available over the counter). The gut is part of a system called the Enteric Nervous System. It is commonly called a brain unto itself. Serotonin is used in the process of digestion in terms of the involuntary or autonomic processes with which Anxiety can interfere. But that doesnt mean anyone can tell me why it started or what is actually wrong. The brain gut relationship is known as "The Brain-Gut Axis".

By the Way Lucy, just in case you were concerned dont worry about your endoscopy its a doddle. i would advised you opt for sedative it makes it so much easier. Good look with that.

Thanks for your comments Everybody, Its really nice to know your not alone.

i have tried probiotics in capsulated and yuck pots of Lactobacillus, I went through a period of IBS a year ago and had a camera in that end too, Its worse than endoscopy
    Probiotics I think are for the bowels my problem is however upper digestive (the stomach itself). i was found to have a bacteria present called HelicoBacter Pylori which is the only bacteria that can survive in the stomach. It was dealt with by means of Antibiotics. There was some improvement but it wasnt the cure. Just got back from Dt and he said "I (the medical community) dont know what causes yourproblem & until more is known about this area you might want to stick with your 5HTP. Oh well

You are sooo not alone with this ,

Get yourself some tonic water and take copious gulps as soon as you are nauseous.
    If you get pain try aloe vera juice

Nausea
    nervous
    Nausea
    Nausea
    does anybody feel sick or cant eat for days

stomach problems
    does anybody feel sick or cant eat for days
    Digestive problems
    belching and tummy pains
    Anxiety or something else?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Hi and welcome.

Havent got much advice on this but can only let you know i am here to support you and thinking of you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

just a thought ,but i did get relief from ths by seing a herbalist[not chinese medicine,made it worse/?]Prob was he retired,and my medicine changed and it came backAlso it is pricey.May be worth asking people if they have had good results with a herbalist,and have a go.As ido think that is the way to go.i bought myself a book and self medicate now1thanks 4 the info on the over the counter stuff. love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

I really like this place, Thanks everyone for your support.

x

hi all, I used to suffer from panic attacks and with them came nausea, constipation, etc. They are simply symptoms of a panic disorder, treat that and they will disappear as well, dont treat the symptoms!

I know its easier said than done, Ive been there, I thought my life was over. Just dont avoid the situations you fear and when panic attacks happen keep telling yourself that nothing will happen, it is an irrational fear.

Good luck all.

Pleased you like it and hope we can all help you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Thread Information