Thread: Endoscopy help

Endoscopy help

am due to get an Endoscopy on the 31st this month as am suffering bad stomach problems my doctor thinks its either just reflux or ulcer but i think its more an ulcer as its more down by my belly button area bad burning

my symptons are -

# Burning between upper abdomen right down to belly button area.
    # tight feeling in my belly like some1 is squeezing it..
    # always feeling hungry even when have just eaten..
    # Nausea..
    # watery bash.. (also can get a phase of dry mouth)
    # Burping..
    # lump in throat..
    # sour taste in throat..
    # bad trapped wind.. (if you put your hand on my belly it seriously feels like i have a baby in the dancing lol I DO NOT HAVE A Baby
    # loud growling stomach..
    # heartburn..
    # indigestion..

this can be made worse if i eat things like chocolate, white bread, spicy foods, hot drinks,
    and can also be soothed by foods :/

am just really worried about going for the Endoscopy as i have a phobia of vomiting so anything going down my throat like this worrys me how bad is it or do you not feel a thing ?

these symptons are really taken a hold of my life and i just cant stop worrying about it
    Last edited by honeyp1e; 21-12-10 at 22:46. Reason: acid reflux, ulcer, burning,

Re: Endoscopy help

Hi There
    I've had two Endoscopies without sedation and couldn't describe them as any more than slightly uncomfortable. If you choose sedation you certainly won't feel anything.There have been many posts on this subject if you search "endoscopy".I can't help with the symptoms as I was suffering from a bleeding ulcer which incidentally healed in no time with the appropriate medication
    All the Best
    John

the first endoscopy i had was not pleasant but very quick and copeable with - they numb your throat so it is not painful as such - just feels wierd. the second one i did find a lot worse but still did not have sedation but i was in a bad way with my anxiety which i think made it a whole lot worse. i had all the symptoms you describe and was convinced i had cancer but they found nothing but mild reflux x

Quote Originally Posted by joannap View Post
    the first endoscopy i had was not pleasant but very quick and copeable with - they numb your throat so it is not painful as such - just feels wierd. the second one i did find a lot worse but still did not have sedation but i was in a bad way with my anxiety which i think made it a whole lot worse. i had all the symptoms you describe and was convinced i had cancer but they found nothing but mild reflux x
    yes am just worried about my anxiety on the day as i no if am having an anxious day it will make it worse for me i just want it done so i can see IF there is or is'nt anything wrong and like you said yours was just acid i bet mine is but we always think the worse well no matter what it is i will no that day and hopefully the proper treatment will be done did you get anything for your mild reflux? has it gone ?
    i get my pain also in the back by my shoulder blades i fine this weird

hi - i did not realise that i was starting to have a breakdown (am in the middle of it now lol) again and so my anxiety was more than endoscopy nerves. i also let the worry of my stomach problems overtake my life - i had such severe symptoms - terrible burning, awful stomach pains from top to bottom, awful pains in my back, tight stomach (felt like i could hardly breathe) so i know how you feel.

i started on omeprazole for acid but then that gave me griping pains etc. they then gave me metoclopramide which i had an awful reaction to (could not sit still for 24 hrs - very scary!) which was the last straw for me after a lot of horrible things this year - hence the state i am in now.

the first endoscopy i had - it was not pleasant but like i say - they do it really quick - it literally took under a minute and they found nothing so i think that was just anxiety but i did not have the burning that time. this second time they diagnosed mild reflux/oesophagitis - although it did not feel mild to me lol! i am just taking gaviscon advance at present. this time - the endoscopy took a bit longer and the consultant who did it had a bit of a shi**y attitude but the nurses were lovely.

you will be fine - its not really any worse than a smear test - just the other end lol! and then your mind can be put at rest and i bet this will dampen the symptoms down too!

Quote Originally Posted by joannap View Post
    hi - i did not realise that i was starting to have a breakdown (am in the middle of it now lol) again and so my anxiety was more than endoscopy nerves. i also let the worry of my stomach problems overtake my life - i had such severe symptoms - terrible burning, awful stomach pains from top to bottom, awful pains in my back, tight stomach (felt like i could hardly breathe) so i know how you feel.

i started on omeprazole for acid but then that gave me griping pains etc. they then gave me metoclopramide which i had an awful reaction to (could not sit still for 24 hrs - very scary!) which was the last straw for me after a lot of horrible things this year - hence the state i am in now.

the first endoscopy i had - it was not pleasant but like i say - they do it really quick - it literally took under a minute and they found nothing so i think that was just anxiety but i did not have the burning that time. this second time they diagnosed mild reflux/oesophagitis - although it did not feel mild to me lol! i am just taking gaviscon advance at present. this time - the endoscopy took a bit longer and the consultant who did it had a bit of a shi**y attitude but the nurses were lovely.

you will be fine - its not really any worse than a smear test - just the other end lol! and then your mind can be put at rest and i bet this will dampen the symptoms down too!

yea i got told to just take gavison advance so that is all your taking for it ?

i no what you mean about it not feeling mild its so bad at times u just wanna curl up and cry i just wanna eat a nice bar of chocolate again without bein in pain how and when do you take your gavison do you find it helps ?

Thread Information