Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant numbness in leg that doesn't ease up

Re: Constant numbness in leg that doesn't ease up

I suffered with this problem about 20 years ago. I had no feeling in the thigh of my leg and the hot tingling was almost painful. I saw the GP who told me after a quick check that it was my sciatic nerve causing the problem. It eased after a few weeks but even now I have flare ups ( though not so bad)..Mine is worse after damp weather and if ive been standing or walking for too long.

@ Nigel

Aww, Nigel, soo nice to hear from you! :-) Yes, I've not been on here much because things have improved greatly! I'm no longer worried I am going to go crazy or hear voices or any of that which is fab! Yesterday in a moment of panic I had to come on here and ask about the numbness as like you say, my mind immediately just jumped to the worst case scenario! I made an appointment with my GP for tomorrow, so I will make sure to get a blood test and get to the bottom of the numbness question.

@ kirstyt, mishel, gaaron, dizz

Thank you all for your lovely replies, I appreciate you taking the time to reassure me! I have made an appointment with the GP for tomorrow, I will make sure to update you all on what he says to my numb leg!

I feel a bit silly now as I didn't even think about nerves and anxiety, I immediately thought I will just lose the leg :-(

Hopefully I will get some answers tomorrow!

Thanking you all for your kind replies! xxx

@ Zee

Thank you for your reply Zee! Gosh I didn't even think it could be a nerve, it is really reassuring to know that you've had a similar symptom and it didn't end up being something serious or irreversible!

I will let you know what the GP comes back with! xx

Hi Pitita,

So it was a case of ‘no news is good news’ then. I’m so pleased for you
    I’m sure others who read that will find it inspiring too – that things can and do get better.

Best of luck for your GP appointment
    Nigel

Pitita, Hope all was well at the docs. Take care x

Hi Pitita,

sorry to hear your having problems with numb leg, I hope you get on well at you gp's.

I had this same problem years ago, I went to my gp's about it, and was sent for tests, after all the tests, I was told it was stress related. I was stressed about something so bad, that my leg went numb which was causing me such problems. as soon as I dealt with the problem that caused me such stress, the numb in my leg stopped.

I never let anything get me into that state of the much stress again. not worth getting that stressed.

Yvonne

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry my reply is slightly delayed, I had a successful visit to the GP. He reassured me that the symptoms do not indicate any major illness or ailment, but he did say he understood my worry so tried to put my mind at ease. I have asked for a blood test to further reassure myself, but it would appear that the numbness could have easily brought on by my anxiety or maybe even lack of exercise. I did promise myself that I will start exercising (yoga, swimming) regularly this year though and have slept with a pillow under my right leg and that seemed to have helped.

I am amazed at the power of anxiety! It really does make one believe all sorts!

Once again, thank you all for your wonderful support!

xx

Hi Pitita,

I've a clotting problem and have suffered multiple events of Deep Vein Thombosis as still have my legs! I personally have never heard of anybody having a leg amputated due to clotting such as a DVT. From what I understand it's more aligned with other circulatory issues.

If you feel you might have a clot then not meaning to sound dramatic, you're best off heading to A&E or GP ASAP. Not that DVT in itself is a problem but you can get issues if the clot breaks off and passes to the heart (Pulmonary Embolism). AGAIN DON'T PANIC THOUGH! I've had this 3 times. Treatment for both of the above is a simple course of injections for a few days followed by a period of taking warfarin tablets. Really not big deal; I have to be on this treatment for life.

Other causes could stem from your back and be nerve related. Do you suffer from lower back pain at all? I get heaviness and numbness in my left leg which was thought could be post thrombotic syndrome. However, upon investigation I've got some broken bits in my lower spine which I'll be having fixed in a few months time.

If you're worried the best action really is to see your GP. The Internets are full of great information but unfortunately tend to tell you the 3 deadly horrific things it could be, as opposed to the several hundred perfectly normal and harmless things.

***EDIT

Should have read the above really!

Hi Pitita, good to hear that it as eased your mind after your GP visit.. You mentioned that raising your right leg on a pillow helps.. That was also the case for me. It took the pressure off the nerve I was told. Hope it continues to improve for you.

Hi Pitita,

I’m pleased to hear that everything turned out to be OK

“I am amazed at the power of anxiety! It really does make one believe all sorts!”

Does anxiety really deserve so much credit?

It’s not so much the power of anxiety but the power of your mind and your imagination, because that’s where anxiety really comes from.

So if it can do all that when you misuse it, think what amazing things it could do when you use it wisely and positively

Take care,
    Nigel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information