Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga will help

Yoga will help

To anyone who is having severe panic attacks or anxiety, please try yoga.

I am not a full on yoga person, but a few years ago I bought a simple yoga dvd to do at home. I pratice it purely for the breathing and it does help a lot. A simple 15 min routine will leave you feeling much better and more relaxed.

My body ís always very tense and sometimes rigid with anxiety, i always seem to have my shoulders up at my ears. But after doing some yoga my body feels relaxed the way it should be. When feeling the on come of a panic attack, I use one special yoga position that i like for the breathing to help me come out of it.

If you have never tried yoga, give it a go, it does help greatly. You dont need to know much about yoga too.

Re: Yoga will help

I do yoga on the Wii fit ( never been one for exercise classes D; ) and it does help quite a lot! Makes my muscles more relaxed and I'm becoming more flexible too. Yea you're right, you don't have to be an expert or extremely flexible to feel the benefits either.

I use a yoga position when I get panicky and heart racey too! I would explain it incase anybody wanted to try it but it sounds really dodgy when I try to explain it lol so I've deleted it and wrote this instead ;s

xx

Hi

I agree with you both.

I am hoping to resume yoga, with the organisation Friend, which is run locally.

I started yoga after anxiety/panic attacks started 3/4 years ago. The sense of refreshness after is a lovelly feeling. One that i would like to carry around with me everywhere.

I like the "down dog" position, not a good name, is it. I think I might be arrested if I started doing that in the supermarket or at work... LOL

thanks for the post.

Yoga has really helped me through some rough times I can't praise it enough. When my lovely Mum passed away 8 months ago I found it a huge comfort . I didnt feel like going to my classes but I did my yoga dvds . So if i wanted to cry it didnt matter. I can highly recommend Leah Bracknell dvds she has a wonderful calming voice and also these are good for beginners.

Sat Nam love and light

Julie xx

Really interesting to read your posts ... my therapist has suggested it for me and I am going to ring a local Zen Centre on Monday. It would be lovely to feel relaxed!!!!

i use yoga to its fab but the 1st few times i was really sore from stretching the muscles out that i hold tense x

Yoga is often used to speed up the minds and emotions. Many people keep their emotions pent up inside and not express their true feelings. The suppression of feelings and emotions and lead to serious health problems. Yoga seeks to unite the minds and feelings, so they can stop eating emotions and help them live healthier lives.

I've been doing Yoga for 3 weeks now, next session in half an hour

I can honestly say it is one the best things I've done. I was really worried at 1st as I'm a fair few stone overweight and was worried I wouldn't be able to do all the positions properly but I've surprised myself and discovered that my balance is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was!

I come out of there after an hour feeling so much calmer, I suffer from anxiety daily as most of us do and I really do believe that yoga is helping me generally not just on the day I do it. I try and use the breathing exercises at night as I have really problems getting to sleep despite being on 45mg of Mirtazapine and they do help.

I recommend it to anyone, and don't worry if you think you won't be able to do it, if I can, anyone can!

Thanks

Cheryl

I've been doing yoga for years and it's great! Just had my second lesson after the summer break and it has helped a lot for my VS. My vision is so much clearer I couldn't believe it It must have to do with relaxation and also the oxygen going to the brain. I really have to practise at home every day.

Btw, I really really advise you to take lessons with a teacher. A DVD or a book can't compare.

I've been to yoga a few times I think it has helped me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Both because exercise and yoga are good remedies, but also because part of hot yoga is about coping with the heat, learning to accept it and trying to just stay in the room the first few sessions even if you can't do the postures. I kind of draw parallels between this and coping with panic (just "staying in the room" in a sense). I think it has helped me in this sense and would definitely recommend it. Instructors are usually very friendly too and I imagine it would be easy to be open with them about anxiety and they probably hear about it quite frequently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information