Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Infection and bloody sputum

Chest Infection and bloody sputum

Morning all,

First time poster here however I have seen this forum come up numerous times from google searches so thought I would start my own post as I currently have a health worry. Even though I probably dont look after myself as well as I should, whenever I am ill I obssessively worry about myself and go for the worst case scenario from the get go so hopefully you can offer some alleviation to my worry as I know its only making me worse. My stats are as follows:

Male
    27 years old
    circa 17stone (ive always been on the large side!)
    Tend to drink in moderation but have a binge every 3 weeks or so, maybe more when I was younger and discovering alcohol
    Smoked cannabis since I was 18 however I have had 3 years off in between give or take so I would say around 6 years of smoking circa 3 mixed joints a week (cannabis + half cigarette with no filter) as a rough guess - this has now stopped, 2 weeks and counting! I was a social smoker so never really smoked on my own but would smoke with mates and have a session, we would smoke bteween 1 - 6 normally between the 3+ of us and would always share, toke and pass etc.

My general health I think is quite good as I never really get ill very often, I cant even remember the last time I got a cold or flu apart from this time which I think is why I worry a lot when I do get ill because im just not used to it. So here goes....

Monday 20th December I came to work with a dry cough that didnt produce any mucus, I coughed and coughed and just thoughyt I was coming down with a common cold/lurgy as a lot of other people in the office were doing the same.

By Tuesday I had flu like symptoms, fever, sweating at night, loss of appetite and general lethargicness and muscle pains so took the day off work. These symptoms persisted for 5 days over Christmas (of which I think I then gave it to my brother and girlfriend). The cough was still at large and worse than ever, we had friends and family over and I ended up coughing after completeling every sentence. Just for the record I am quite a violent cougher and prefer to expel any nasties sooner rather than later if I can so cough quite hard, often to the point where my lungs are wrenching and I feel like im going to vomit. Its stupid but feels like thats the only way to get the deeper stuff out.... :s

On Monday 27th December I woke up and coughed up some yellow mucus followed by 3 or 4 spits of foamy rusty/brown/reddy phlegm. I was naturally quite panicked by this however because there were bank holidays left right and center I couldnt actually get an appointment at the doctors until Thursday. The bloody phlegm continued through to the day of the doctors, however never quite as much as the first occurence on the Monday and would only ever happen in the mornings when I cleared my lungs out, the rest of the day I would cough but it would be clear.

By this time sat in the doctors waiting room I had convinced myself that I had lung cancer as bloody sputum is never a good sign. The doctor listened to my lungs 8 times, top bottom, left right, back front and she said my lungs sound quite good. She checked my throat with a wooden stick (say aaaah) and asked me to blow into a lung elasticity device, which I blew into and she said she was impressed at my lung capacity (I always thought I had good lungs, being able to swim 20 - 25 metres underwater in one breath etc), she also checked my temperature and I was 36.8

The doctor suspecected I had ruptured a blood ressel in my chest from coughing too violently and coughing more than I needed to, which I kinda understand. She prescribed me 7 days worth of Amoxycillin, 3 to be taken each day. The friday after the docs, I made the effort to cough less and only when needed and there was less blood in my phlegm, by Saturday, there was only a very small amount (2 spots about 2mm in size from 2 coughs).

However my cough seems to be getting worse again and has meant I have started coughing more again, the blood is coming back again in larger quantities but no way near as much as the itianl couple of days occurance. The blood is a combination of small bright red globdules and streaks however the yellow mucus seems to sit seperately to the blood when in the pan

As of today, it is now 15 days since the cough started, my appetite still hasnt come back due to anxiety and I have started getting night sweats again over the past 2 days and generally feeling a lack of energy. I do not have a shortness of breath but tend to cough after talking and do not have any pains that get worse after inhaling or exhaling but I do have a pain in my lower right back, its just a dull ache halfway up my right lung (non heart side)

I am on day 6 of the Amoxycillin and cant see it going away by the last day tomorrow. I have booked another appointment with my GP on Thursday morning 6th Jan at 8:50 to find out whats next.

I am losing my mind with worry which is causing me to not eat which is making me lose weight, as well as feeling tired due to waking up in the night with night sweats and worry.

Can anyone offer any advice that might alleviate my panic?

Any help would be most appreciated
    Mark

Re: Chest Infection and bloody sputum

Just as a side note I had had a blocked up nose which is now starting to shift however the mucus in my nose is clear. I a couple of days ago I did have a couple of bits of blood in my nose secretions but I dont think there was enough to warant post-nasal drip

My only advice if you are still concerned is to go back to your doctor. Maybe (if you can) you should take a sample of what you cough up with you in a pot. Sounds horrid I know but at least your doctors could see what you are talking about and they are used to looking at 'things' like this so he/she wont mind.

You can get little sterile pots with lids from the chemist/doctors or failing that just put it in anything.

I'm supprised they didn't ask you for a sample but then again they are obviously not concerned so that's probably why.

I'll try and alleviate that panic a bit Mark

I'm sure you know how many horrible virus type thingies are around at the moment, they really are nasty and are causing all types of chest problems.

A couple examples which I hope will help.

I'm asthmatic got the virus about three weeks ago and got a chest infection because of it. I am a lot better than I was but am still nowhere near properly better despite a course of antibiotics, increased dosage of corticosteroids, paracetamol..you name it, I have thrown everything at the damn thing and it still won't go!

My cough is still there, the asthma is still irritated because of the cough and I have a permananent headache and sore ribss form coughing.

My son also has the same thing (he's asthmatic too) but he, like yourself, is coughing up blood and has been for nearly 3 weeks.

It is because of the strain the cough puts on the throat and chest that the wee blood vessels burst and although it looks terrifying it is harmless.

You haver had your Peak Flow done (that lung function blow into the meter test) and that was fine..be reassured that its a good indicator of how your lungs are working.

You may need another course of antibiotics but I have a feeling that this may need to run it's course unfortunately.

Try and reassure yourself that there are an awful lot of us out there feeling just the same with the same symptoms but hopefully your GP will be able to put your mind at rest.

Oh nearly forgot.. to NMP.

Thankyou both for your replies, I have rebooked at the docs and so will see how it goes on Thursday morning. I have never coughed up blood before so naturally it alarmed me, especially when googling "blood in phlegm" as it returns some worrying results.

Ladybird just out of interest, how old is your son and has he ever coughed up blood before? Just googling that Peak Flow meter you mentioned, I think I blew between 650 - 700, it certainly went almost to the top of the scale.

Just a bit more information, the cough actually subsides at night and doesnt usually cause me any problems when im in bed. I cough a couple of times but im not kept awake in coughing fits or anything like that. The night sweats have been waking me up 3 - 4 hours after getting into bed, even after taking paracetamol just before I go to sleep. I wake up very sweaty and feel cold as a result. Theres nothing worse than waking up soaking wet when you feel ill!

Hi again Mark

He is 25 yrs old and generally well, I don't remember him coughing up blood before but I'm not absolutely sure.

I will ask him but he became a dad again yesterday morning so he is a bit preoccupied at the moment!

Thanks Ladybird, at least he's the same kind of age as me so thats a good point of reference. Just as an update on this mornings results, more coughing this morning produced some more yellow phlegm and with 2 coughs producing a small amount of blood, the first being yellow phlegm with a small reddish orange part and the second being yellow mucus with a small dark red blood globdule.

Hi there

Looks like my family have the same nasty bug too.

Had ours for 4 weeks (the kids have fought it off quickly) but i've been on amoxycillin and that hasnt touched it (being a virus I dont know why gp prescribed them really).

My husband is a violent 'cougher' too and he coughed up blood as well, he has had his a bit longer than mine and is starting to feel better. I thought mine was going yesterday but last night I too had the night sweats (as did my hubby last week) and today I feel horrible again.

My dad (who kindly gave it to us all!) has been unwell for nearly 5 weeks he went to gp yesterday but they said they could'nt do anything for him and he will just have to let his body fight it out-happy days!!

Roll on summer

Hi Ruby,

Thanks for sharing, its always good to find other people with the same problems as it means we're all in this together! How long has he been producing blood and is it only in the mornings, how long as he had his illness? I had more nightsweats last night but not as bad as 2 days ago.

I have just got back from the docs again and I have a chest x-ray booked in for this afternoon just to rule out anything else that might be causing the blood. He was happy with my lung sounds, I blew 700 on the peak flow which is the maximum on the scale her had, he said if it went further he's sure it would have kept on going. He also checked my blood pressure which is apparently spot on as well.

I have been prescribed another 7 days worth of antibiotics, not sure which but I think they begin with a C. 2 to be taken twice a day for a week

The doc didnt seem worried about it and said I would be extremely unlucky if I had lung cancer at my age and with those results. He said I had more chance of winning the lottery than getting lung cancer at my age, which I think its probaby an over-exaggeration a little it!!??

I have my own theory as to why theres only blood in the mornings. Seeing as in the waking hours im constantly drinking water, swallowing and eating, the blood doesnt have a chance to accumulate however at night, these functions are greatly reduced/stopped and so any rips/tears in my throat will have time to accumulate, thus producing bloody results in the morning.

Will keep you all posted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information