Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing techniques etc?

Breathing techniques etc?

Hi all!

Well, for the last few days I haven't been feeling too anxious (touch wood), so have decided that with the help of my therapist, tomorrow I will be trying a few stops on the train by myself with her getting me on it, and then meeting me when I come off. Pretty scared thinking about it, but trying to remain positive.

Anyway, I just wondered if people could give me like some breathing techniques or other things they do when they feel panic coming on to diffuse it before it becomes a full blown attack? I'm compiling a list of coping mechanisms - I already have some but would like as many as possible, just to have with me before I set off so I can read over it and reassure myself!

Thanks

Re: Breathing techniques etc?

Emma, that's real good you're trying the train! I can't give any breathing advise but I'm sure your therapist will give you her best advise - especially as she knows you. Let us know how you get on. xx

Thank u, I'll definately report back on how it goes. I've only ever done one stop on the train on my own, did that a few times but felt so bad I gave up and haven't done it since (that was about 4 weeks ago) so tomorrow may start off just one stop, then hopefully increase to 2 or 3 depending on time/how I'm feeling. Hopefully she will have lots of advice 2 give before we set off!

Good Luck tomorrow. I too find trains difficult but I am slowly getting there.

Hi Emma

For the past few days I have been practicing breathing to control my panic attacks. I take full blown attacks that can last up to an hour.

So I have been practicing breathing in through my nose into my stomach so that my stomach rises, and then breathing back out slowly through my mouth.

Well, all day I have been lest anxious as normal, but just an hour ago I suddenly felt the onset of a panic attack. So I done the breathing as explained, and within 5 breaths the attack just disappeared as quickly as it came, just like that !!!

As I was doing my breathing, I was also telling myself " I am in control, this cannot harm me, panic attack you are not wanted here anymore, I am stronger than you". I know it sounds silly but it does work.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how you get on. Good luck, you can do it !!!!
    x

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlove View Post
    Hi Emma

For the past few days I have been practicing breathing to control my panic attacks. I take full blown attacks that can last up to an hour.

So I have been practicing breathing in through my nose into my stomach so that my stomach rises, and then breathing back out slowly through my mouth.

Well, all day I have been lest anxious as normal, but just an hour ago I suddenly felt the onset of a panic attack. So I done the breathing as explained, and within 5 breaths the attack just disappeared as quickly as it came, just like that !!!

As I was doing my breathing, I was also telling myself " I am in control, this cannot harm me, panic attack you are not wanted here anymore, I am stronger than you". I know it sounds silly but it does work.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how you get on. Good luck, you can do it !!!!
    x
    Thank u so much for ur reply, I will definately write down ur breathing techniques and also ur positive statements. I am getting picked up at 3pm, wish it was now just 2 get it done!!!

Hi Emma

A breathing technique to stop an attack is to braeth in through your nose as much as physically possible hold for 3 seconds and then let out SLOWLY though your mouth to the count of 10. Hard at first but it really works and can stop an attack before or during one - good luck

Emma - how did you get on?

Hi! Well... I survived! lol. I managed to do 2 stops on the train 3 times!!! My therapist picked me up and we went up 2 my local train station. We went down 2 the platform and 2 trains had 2 pass us before I finally got on 1, I was just 2 worked up and she said there was no point in me getting on until I had calmed down a bit. I had so much adrenalene (sp?) that I was literally bouncing up and down, walking up and down the platform, etc etc. My heart was racing like crazy. She spoke 2 me and tried calming me down, telling me 2 repeat positive statements in my head, like "I can do this, she will be waiting at the other end on me, no-one will be staring at me, I know what 2 do if I start 2 feel a bit panicky to calm myself down" that kind of thing.

When I was on the train I was terrified. I sat down next 2 a little old lady who I thought looked like she would be helpful if I needed any help. I put on my iPod and sat down. I had written a list of positive statements and breathing techniques and I just kept reading it over and over, and before I knew it I was at my stop! I felt so buzzing when I got off, that I did it again, going back the way this time. Then I did it again!

Now that I've analysed it though, I'm not quite sure how I feel. On the 1 hand, I'm really pleased that I did it, really really pleased. But on the other hand, I am thinking "how many times will I need 2 do this before I feel calm doing it?!" and "that's only 2 stops, 2 get to Glasgow (which is where I'd go for work, for drinks, for everything really), it's 9 stops! I just feel like, yeah I've came on in the last few months, but I've still got SO far 2 go! So mixed feelings really, but at least I did it!

That's brill news - doing the journey! Try and think of the positive feeling you got and not too much of the 'if's' and 'when's'. I am so pleased for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information