Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi. I Feel like I am the only one.

Exclamation Hi. I Feel like I am the only one.

Hi. I am a 43 year old male and have just been diagnosed with High blood pressure. I have been put on Lisinopril an ACE inhibitor to control it. My HBP was found when I went to my GP's after my first Bad Panic attack in two years, two weeks ago. I have had bad side effects with the BP meds including dizziness tightness in the chest, flu symptoms and to top it all anxiety. I had another medium type Panic attack yesterday, I just sat down to eat my tea and bang it hit me. This time I managed to control it a little by going to bed, laying down and listening to some soothing music and sucking on a couple of rescue remedy pastles . I hate feeling like this and to say I have been clear of panic attacks for two years. I feel a failure! The last bout was two years ago in winter 2008/2009 after I nearly killed my family in a car trip in the bad snow. (slid down a hill backwards with steep drops on either side) My panic attack starts by a wave of fear running over me, then been unable to breath and having unwelcome thoughts running through my head, things like I am dying or their is something seriously wrong with me. The last bout in 2008/2009 my GP put me on Cit but I had a very bumpy ride with them for six weeks or more I started on 5mg and progressed to 20mg eventually I did get used to them in a way but they some how changed my moods I became very snappy with my wife and kids. I had to choose either the meds or my anger (for the want of a better word.) So after three months, with the GP's help I weaned myself off them. I was back to my normal self within a few weeks.
    I am reluctant to go back to the GP's again in fear that he wants to put me back on Cit. I don't think I can do the roller coaster again. Anyway enough from me for the time being but any advice is very welcome.

Buster

Hi buster_uk1967

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: Hi. I Feel like I am the only one.

Only joined tonight and can,t be of any help i,m sorry , but it looks like theres some great peeps on here .
    Just started the cit myself three days ago and it makes me feel weird and on edge and very emotional although i feel better the last hour .

I,m sure someone will offer some great advice .

There are at least 25 different anti depressant medications so discuss it with your gp, I'm sure they will try you on another one. It's trial and error when it comes to medication i'm afraid, i've had years of it but without it I can honestly say I wouldn't be here now so stick with it!

Thanks for the welcome and advice so far. Well, after posting this thread last night I had a relaxed evening knowing I have found others who suffer from this health issue and I am NOT alone. I am only sleeping for maybe four hours a night though I try and stay awake for as long as I can in the hope that I sleep for longer. Sadly this does not seem to be working. I awoke this morning at 6.00 am after getting to sleep at 02.30am. I don't feel as anxious at the moment but know this may change as the day goes on. So I suppose I am in that mode of depression of waiting for it to happen. Well Breakfast time for me now. Back later and thanks for reading.

Hi Buster sometimes we get setbacks but dont feel dispondent go and see gp who will find right meds for you im sure.

hi I am also new to this board and I am sure you will find a lot more advice comming your way.

I would also make sure your doctor knows how you are feeling, it can be hard to share but he/she is not a mind reader.
    Lares

You are not alone. Welcome to NMP
    Paige x

Hi Buster,

Welcome, to NMP. Like others have said there are many other anti depressants out there and even other treatments such as counselling and things. Have you tried writing down how you feel after doing certain things, so you can give the dr a good idea of what is happening.

Anita.

Thank you all, There are some great replies here, I will try and keep a diary on my feelings day to day in the hope I can see a pattern. Although I do know that in the end only I can sort myself out but I hope to do it with the help of you on here if that's OK. I have noticed that teas time over the last few days have become a problem I hope I am not over sensitizing things and looking more into things than there need to be. I don't think the HBP meds are helping me in the anxiety department at the moment but they do seem to be working in their primary role. Why can't life be more simple? I am at the GP's for a kidney scan on Wednesday I have had urine and bloods taken and I also have an appointment to see my GP this Friday.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information