Thread: Im coming off meds but Im scared!

Im coming off meds but Im scared!

I have spent years being dependent on various meds and over the past 9 months with the help of my GP have been reducing them and I have fully stopped others. I am now only taking Amitryptyline and Propranolol. I only take 2 x 10mg a day but I have decided that the side effects still cause me more problems than the anxiety. So I am taking one for a few days then off.
    I feel quite scared only having myself to rely on to get me through - has anyone else who has relied on meds for so long managed to get off them and stay off ?
    Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Hi Darkangel

Have you discussed this plan with your doctor? People do manage to get off medication but tapering off slowly is the best way to go about it.

This post might help:

Coming off meds
    getting bad again.....

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

I would be paying a bit more attention to this than you are .

Slowly is the way to come off without rebound effects so to reduce by 100% for a few days and then come off is very fast .

Please discuss with your doctor

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

I have proved to myself that it is my thoughts that trigger an anxiety attack because I have just had one. When I read the response I panicked!

It was my GP who told me to reduce to just 1 tablet for a day then the next take none. I was beginning to think I was losing it so after my panic attack I telephoned my GP out of hours service as I thought something was going to happen to me. It was reconfirmed that my information was right.

But now that this doubt has been put in my head, I am going to take 1 tablet daily for a week then come off completely. 10mg is the lowest dose so I cant go any lower. Also I am continuing with my a/deps.

good luck in coming off ur meds angel, as u know I am just beginning new ones and am aiming myself to be on only the escitalopram in 12 weeks from now, I too take propanalol as well as the small amount of diazepam at the moment that I put in my posts, but I want both gone.

one day I hope to follow in ur footsteps and consign mental health medication to the bin of history for ever.

best wishes angel

andrew

hiya!!! i am a right little worrier from birth and i came on anti ds twice fine! no withdrawals as i did it properly! the only feeling i got was like bouncing up and down inside your head but it faded and faded then went! no ill effects! you will be fine xx

fibrochat) http://apriltones.proboards54.com

To give an update - I felt awful for about 3 days (physically shaking and severe dip in mood) but my GP and key worker at hospital said to give it a few more days and see how I felt and they would reaccess me next week. I think my main problem was scared of not having the meds in my system. I perservered and I am now feeling the benefits.
    Yesterday I went my messages on my own and had no dizziness or lightheadedness although my heart was racing but I stuck with it. Today I woke up feeling "normal" and went shopping with my daughter and went into JJB (I normally panic when i go in there) but although I was a bit apprehensive again there was no dizziness. Everything seems clearer and driving is a lot easier I am so much more relaxed.
    It is still early days and I am being monitored so I feel more positive - Carl has given me tips on using EFT to get through it and it has really helped.
    Thanks again for your support

Darkangel

That's good mate and great that you have plenty of support from your doctor too.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thread Information