Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs popping in my head most of the day

Re: Songs popping in my head most of the day

I've had this for most of my life, and I think it's more unusual for me not to have a tune in my head at some point during the day. The Germans have a fab term for it and refer to it as an Ohrwurm (Earworm!).

I often have songs playing in my head, songs I think I havent heard in a while but then again I have the radio on all day so I think my mind is a bit like an mp3 player it sub-consciously downloads these tunes ready to play at any time!

I have been very very anxious all of this week and have noticed the songs are playing in my head every morning, I dont usually get it every day so it must be anxiety causing it.

Perhaps its a bit of a self-preservation thing, if the tunes go over in your mind its blocking out the cause of the anxiety?!

Interestingly, I have had this lately, particularly nursery rhymes as my daughter has dvds and cds that she wants on incessantly!! The other night I laid awake for ages with a stupid song about chopping wood in my head.

I wonder if it is because with anxiety our minds are ticking over all time, usually over something that we find troubling but when we push that aside consciously or with the help of meds (I have been on citalopram again for a couple of weeks) our mind finds something else to tick tick over?

I find it very very hard to switch off at night and I do feel that my anxiety is like a viscious circle..I can't sleep cos of it and yet the sleeplessness makes it worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information