Thread: why do i feel i am not improving like i should?

why do i feel i am not improving like i should?

i have been on prozac almost 9 weeks (almost 4 on 40mg) and i just don't feel like they are working like they should be.

in the past (i am no stranger to anxiety) i have been on an ssri for 2 weeks or so and then my mood has quickly improved and i have got back to normal living. this time - it has been very different. yes - i have experienced some improvement (my anxiety was through the roof and i could not even be left on my own) but i still feel anxious/depressed much of the time and although i have experienced some better days where i can see light at the end of tunnel - i then start to feel really bad again - like a yo yo effect.

this is the worst breakdown i have ever had so i don;t know if i am expecting too much too soon but my thoughts are concentrated 24/7 on myself even on the days i feel better.

my worry is is that i am on the wrong ssri for me - that if i was on another one i would be improving quicker but THEN i worry that they are doing more than i think and it would be wise to stay on them. i am in very regular contact with my gp - she seems happy overall with my progress.

i do realise that medication is not the answer but my past experience of ssri's is that they have always helped dramatically.

my question is is that how do i tell the difference between an srri that is helping and my recovery taking a long time or whether i need to be on a different medication?
    Last edited by joannap; 08-02-11 at 12:56. Reason: forgot a scentence

Thread Information