Thread: St Johns wort?

Question St Johns wort?

I've read that it can trigger hypomanic and manic episode and is generally an antidepressant but I'm starting to feel abit desprate. My mood swings have come back full force, changing rapidly 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more severe than others. I'm seeing my doctor on the 2nd March again but can't before as he's gone on holiday today. There is only 1 other doctor I'd be happy to see (because he's trained in psychiatry, noone else has a clue what to do with me) but I doubt getting an appointment with him would be easy.

So I'm looking into anything to do, especially currently to lift my mood, I've never had full blown mania, just more hypomanic and I'm very productive in that state and only reckless now and again.
    Has anyone had any experience with st johns wort? Or can anyone suggest anything that may just help in the short term?

Re: St Johns wort?

I've never taken St Johns Wort Lizzie. I just think that it is useful for people who suffer from mild to moderate depression and not the mood swings that you describe. I've just read up about it again and it specifically says not to be used with patients suffering from dysthimia (mood swings?) and not to be used with other ssris as it can significantly increase the risk of serotonin syndrone. It does not sound as if it would be useful to you and it sounds in my honest opnion to be seriously risky for you to take it but at the end of the day it is up to you. It would be far better if you could see someone before the 2nd March. EJ.

Thanks for that, I'm not currently on any SSRI's at the moment, I know not to take too much stuff because of serotonin syndrome being very health concious I always read labels!

I think I will try and see this other doctor if I can, maybe a second view would be good just as long as I get no more antidepressants, it's quite clear they don't work!

St John's Wort is basically a natural version of an SSRI. I'd strongly recommend against taking it in conjunction with any other psychiatric medication at all without specifically being told to do so by a dr.

p.s. I've had Serotonin Syndrome and it's bloody horrible :P Don't risk it.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziesaurus View Post
    Thanks for that, I'm not currently on any SSRI's at the moment, I know not to take too much stuff because of serotonin syndrome being very health concious I always read labels!

I think I will try and see this other doctor if I can, maybe a second view would be good just as long as I get no more antidepressants, it's quite clear they don't work!
    I wouldn't recommend taking SJW either Lizzie - it doesn't sound right for you. I tried it before I was on sertraline and it made me feel worse.

Have you tried many meds then? There must be something that can help alleviate your symptoms. I would definitely make an appointment with your doc about this.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziesaurus View Post
    I've read that it can trigger hypomanic and manic episode and is generally an antidepressant but I'm starting to feel abit desprate. My mood swings have come back full force, changing rapidly 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more severe than others. I'm seeing my doctor on the 2nd March again but can't before as he's gone on holiday today. There is only 1 other doctor I'd be happy to see (because he's trained in psychiatry, noone else has a clue what to do with me) but I doubt getting an appointment with him would be easy.

So I'm looking into anything to do, especially currently to lift my mood, I've never had full blown mania, just more hypomanic and I'm very productive in that state and only reckless now and again.
    Has anyone had any experience with st johns wort? Or can anyone suggest anything that may just help in the short term?
    Hi i am tryin sjw at the moment neary 4 weeks on it and about the only side effect I have had is dry mouth(only for 2 days) but apart from that i think they are workin as seem to have eased my panic attack for me.
    But as they say Different courses for different horses!

Thread Information