Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So sick of worrying about Cancer!

So sick of worrying about Cancer!

Helloooo!

Just thought i'd vent to everyone on here as i am 100% sick of worrying that I have some type of cancer! Every symptom, ache or little twinge i feel I attribute it to some kind of Cancer!
    In the past 9 months, I have diagnosed myself with Leukemia, lymphoma, stomach cancer, brain cancer and now i am obsessed with cervical cancer or cancer that has spread and is all over my body.
    The thing is, I don't really have any alarming symptoms *touch wood*! I'm just obsessed with cancer and I'm sick of it! I am actually terrified that I am going to get it or already have it!

I am constantly checking cancer stats and symptoms to reassure myself and the reality is, Cancer isn't as common as the media portrays it to be - 300,000 people in the UK get cancer out of nearly 62 million!
    I know i am being ridiculous but I am worrying silly amounts about it!
    I have OCD, so I never know whether the obsessive thoughts about cancer are related to that!

I'm just so tired of thinking about it!

Does anyone else obsess over cancer?

Sorry for the long rant! xxx

Re: So sick of worrying about Cancer!

Hi,

Yes, cancer is my big fear too. In the past 6 months or so I've 'had' breast, lung, stomach, cervical and bone cancer as well as a brain tumour!! It got to a point where I couldn't function properly because the fear was too great.

However, it's early days but I think I'm on the road to recovering from HA due to CBT. It's really helping me keep perspective and be rational when I would normally go into a blind panic. Have you tried CBT?

K xx

I'm exactly the same! Everything is cancer!!

I'm glad to hear your CBT is helping! I'm starting mine on Tuesday actually and i'm looking forward to it but at the same time i'm a bit nervous incase it doesn't work!
    How are you finding it? xxx

It took me a while to believe it would help but suddenly after my last session it all seemed to fall in place and I can see how irrational I've been over my health. I would say give it a good shot, don't give up after a few sessions because you think it isn't working because you might be like me and take some time to 'get into it'.

Good luck, I really hope it helps.

K xx

I am exactly the same, my big fear is cancer...it's even difficult for me to say, write or type the word.

I also have OCD and my checking for symptoms is basically the same rituals I go through for checking doors are locked, gas rings are off etc.

I've been having CBT for nearly a year now and I am getting better at rationalising but I still have wobbles every now and then. Every little twinge, ache or sensation makes me wonder.

Good luck with the CBT I do think it works, but give it time to see the benefits. I'm feeling a bit wobbly at the moment as my therapist has been off on the sick and it's about three weeks since my last session (I usually go once a week), so I can really feel the difference when I haven't been.

Me too, get over one cancer worry i only move on to another, worried for 6 years that i had cervical cancer (i didnt as i plucked up the courage to get a test) now its breast cancer and mouth cancer. I too never think of any symptom being anything else. It doesnt help that every newspaper or magazine we open has awareness ads. Im checking and checking for lumps many times a day, i convince myself there must be something wrong and ive missed it. I think of all the days ive spent wasting my time checking worrying and get annoyed with myself but it still doesnt change my mindset. I hope eventually one day ill think in a more rational way.

My big fear is dying young and leaving my children behind without a mother and i keep thinking my mental health problems will cause me to die...stupid i know....But i have been able to get out of these though patterns when they come back...I use my knowledge from my cbt theraphy which i had about 7yrs ago...and i have to say it worked well for me....but those horrible thoughts still come up now and then but least im able to deal with them better now Definately ask ur gp doc about CBT....

Cancer does not have to be terminal.

People survive cancer.

If you spend your life worrying about dying then surely that is not living?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Cancer does not have to be terminal.

People survive cancer.

If you spend your life worrying about dying then surely that is not living?
    Nearly everyone in my family who has had Cancer has died apart from 1, Cancer scares the hell out of me but i'd rather Cancer than something like MND where it is guaranteed that you will die a slow horrible paralysing death.

You havnt got MND Eggy ..Your health anxiety is on overdrive at the moment .Concentrate on one ailment at a time for now .Luv Sue x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information