Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone taken metronidazole before?

Re: Anyone taken metronidazole before?

If u are worried about having an allergic reaction to them then maybe u should wait and speak too ur doctor or a pharmacist tomorrow and they can advise u what to do?

Made another appointment with a dentist today, my regular one as the pain seems to have 70% gone overnight, so I think best to check with them and see what they think. If they insist I need the pills I will have to take them.

Anyone else think thats the right way to go forward with this?

I have taken metronidazole 3 times for an extremely painful gum infection. They are very effective and will kill off nasty mouth bugs within days but they do tend to upset people's stomachs as they are pretty strong. I was ok the last time I took them but the time before that I threw up a couple of times on them (probably didnt help that I hadnt been able to eat for the past 7 days so my stomach was more sensitive than usual). They certainly are good at clearing up mouth/gum infections though so if the Dentist has recommended you take them I would definitely take their advice. At the end of the day you're system needs some help in fighting off this infection so the best option is to take something to help it do that.

Have you had allergic reactions to antibiotics before? If so have you let your dentist know?

Oh and ABSOLUTELY NO alcohol when you're on Metronidazole.

Hope you feel much better soon,
    Moonlight Xxxx

If you have a history of allergic reactions then I agree with the poster who said to check with your GP or dentist.

I had an allergic reaction to these and went to A&E as I was so worried - luckily I was absolutely fine! It was just unpleasant at the time! I get given amoxycillin + something else now instead of metronidazole if I have dental pain, as I did 2 weeks ago. Ask your dentist if you can have this instead?

I went back earlier, spoke to him and he took a look at my mouth. He said that it was fine and didnt really need antibiotics, he did issue some erythramycin just in case I do need them at some point but he said for the time being just carry on using mouth wash and if it doesnt hurt enough to even taken painkillers then not to worry.

I had them for trench mouth and and i'm sceard of any pill/antibiotic/paracetamol

but i had the metronidazole after taking it i was fine but i panic'd only because im sceard of tablets and side effects but i had no side-effects what so every and i was fine

Yay, another trench mouth sufferer! I have only met a small number of people who've had it...apparently it's very rare. I think it might be more prevalent in people with anxiety. Did the Metro sort it out ok?

M xxx

yes it sorted the trench mouth.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information