Thread: My sertraline experience so far...

My sertraline experience so far...

Well i've been taking sertraline for 4 weeks and 5 days now.
    I have to say I dont feel much different.
    If anything I maybe feel a bit less panicky.

I've been really poorly the last week with a flu type virus.
    and its brought on my dizziness again..
    When i was pregnant with my son I started getting very dizzy. After going back and forth to the doctors they finally sent me for a ct scan cos' the dizziness was accompanies by headaches. the cct scan was fine. and they diagnosed migraines.
    So then the doctor sent me to a physio place at hospital who said I had an inner ear disorder. and gave me exercises to do to help get my balance back on track.
    But also the doctor has said it could just be a symptom of anxiety and depression. I dont feel it is this though cos' it's so real to me.

It stopped me being able to look after my son. I could hardly walk around the house let alone take him out places and play with him.
    The annoying thing is that it stopped for just over a year and I finally got my confidence back and started enjoying my life again.
    Started taking my tablets which took me 2 years!!

Now I have 3 kids to look after my son whos 3 in a few weeks my partners kids who are 9 and 10 and live with us full time. I cant afford to be dizzy all the time. If its an inner ear thing I can see how the virus i've had would affect it again but I just feel like nobody believes me cos its not like a cut they can see or a broken leg ive got in plaster. Its in my head and its such a horrible out of control feeling I cant stand it.

I feel anxious now which sucks .
    Sorry for long post. x

Re: My sertraline experience so far...

dont be sorry - thats not a very long post! anyway have you taken the sertraline before? sounds as though you arent having any major side effects though - i have been on cit now for 5 months and i felt dizzy when i first started them too - and coincidentally i have some sort of bug right now with major headaches and hot sweats and feeling dizzy too - plus ive fainted once while ive been on the cit and sometimes i do feel faint - so maybe these are just side effects? i was prescibed sertraline before cit, but i wasnt ready to take them as i read the leaflet and freaked at the side effects list, but because i have intrusive thoughts ive started to think i wish id given them a go? but on the cit i have noticed that the anxiety has definately gone down. you sound as though you will be ok, maybe you need to give them a while longer? i keep talking to my practice gps as i have to see them every eight weeks to get a script and they just keep reiterating that these meds are not magic pills, they just help take the edge off - you still have to manage your situation? also i get migraines and so does my daughter whos only 13! and my mum suffered with them too - have you had your eyes tested? - now im sorry for rambling

Not rambling thanks for replying
    I have had my eyes tested 5 times in the last 2 years lol
    I do worry about my health a lot.

What is cin?
    See I didnt read the leaflet cos i knew if i did i wouldnt take it at all or any of them for that matter, i was originaly on citalopram but we wanted to try for a baby so the doctor changed it to a more suitable one.

I did however read the leaflet of the prochloperazine that i was prescribed the other day and then i googled it and now i wont touch it at all. lol. I think im so stupid cos if it was that bad they wouldnt have prescribed it but the other part of me is saying not to take it.

I managed to go out today for a walk and coped with the dizziness quite well it tends to get worse in the evenings.

I hope you feel better soon, rubbish being so poorly xx

hi, i dont know what cin is? i didnt put cin in my post so now im confused what is prochloperazine for? also have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder? is it mainly health anx or are you like me - a jumble of all anxiety disorders? anyway well done for going out for the walk - it helps - keep it up, the fresh air and exercise will do you good - also im still debating about trying for another pregnancy but im not sure id be able to on cit either - the doc i spoke to said we would have to plan it and i would have to go on prozac instead - it that why you are on sertraline, to try for a baby?

sorry i meant cit. ? The other problahblah stuff was for my dizziness.

I havent beem diagnosed with any anxiety disorder I've just srtated seeing someone at the hospital for CBT. I went for my first appointment on thursday. Not really sure what happens now he just gave me some books to read.
    I am ever so anxious about my health and my son aswell its the scariest thing but im bad with other things as well. Me and my fiance are suposed to be going to london on friday but im not sure wether i can do it cos were talking about gettin the bus or train up and i dont think i can cope with all the people on the train or bus and with not being able to turn around and go home if i start to panic like i could if i was in my own car. Bit silly really but london is such a big place and so busy far away from devon. Feel a bit sad. lol

Do you get help for your anxiety in another way?

I think that i'm on sertraline because we wanted to try for a baby cos' they originaly put me on citalopram but when i told them we were going to try for a baby she said she would put me on a tablet more suitable for pregnancy and stuff. Not really happening though. Getting married in august so enough going on for now anyway xx

hi, cit was short for citalopram right so you sound like youve not been suffering long then? i first experienced intense prolonged anxiety at 14 -when i ended up having 6 months off school - if i could help you in any way it would be to get on that train or bus and just go to london regardless of how bad you feel - you will feel horrible, but you really could do with not giving into something that cant kill you anyway - sure it can make you feel very very very bad indeed, but it cant harm or kill you,( if it could i wouldnt be here now, and eventually you cant run away from it anyway coz unless you face it, it is with you constantly) so really you have nothing to fear - dont waste years of your precious life running from a load of physical symptoms -because once you start avoiding stuff your probs may get 100% worse - keep in touch up to going to london and then you can come straight back on here and report how eventually you calmed down and even had a good time?

Thanks
    I've been more depressed to be honest since I was about 12 when my mum first took me to the doctor. 21 now.
    The anxiety has always been there but not as bad as nowadays.
    I think i am going to go to london now But think im gonna take my brothers car and drive up.
    I have got my tablets and have some diazepam that if i really need to i can take. hoping i dont have to though.
    Part of me is quite looking forward to it.
    Thank you for listening to me xxx

hey katie, sorry for assuming you were new to all of this - u are sooooo young - i too started early and it does really intefere with your life doesnt it? i thought i was depressed but im not sure if its just feeling anxious all of the time and then feeling overwhelmed and then retreating into myself that has caused the depression? you have a baby of your own, and you had him really young so that has prob made all of this much worse - i know that after my daughter my anx was way worse than it had been previously- you are doing really well, you are young and you have alot of pressure looking after 3 kids yourself a relationship and your home - try to stop putting pressure on yourself, that is a mammoth task for anyone - go to london and try to forget your worries for the day, im always here to chat for as long as you need - its a comfort to know someone understands?

Thread Information