Thread: Severe medical / blood / dentist phobia - meant to be doing a first aid course - help

Severe medical / blood / dentist phobia - meant to be doing a first aid course - help

Hi everyone,
    I've got a severe phobia of anything medical - I can't go to the dentists, hospital, can't get any check ups at the doctors, can't watch or talk about any medical procedures (even someone mentioning something as small as saying they know someone with a broken leg makes me want to faint and I get so clammy, dizzy, racing heart etc). I'll avoid any situation where medical things might be mentioned (dinner parties, hairdressers etc) and if I am in a situation where it comes up/if I see anything I'll faint. I have just been referred to start CBT but am meant to be doing a first aid course at work - which I'll obviously never last 2 minutes in. Does anyone have any suggestions/things that have worked for them/herbal or normal medications? Thanks!

Re: Severe medical / blood / dentist phobia - meant to be doing a first aid course -

Hello and welcome to NMP.

Re: Severe medical / blood / dentist phobia - meant to be doing a first aid course -

Hiya

Welcome to NMP!

I think you should speak to someone at work work and say that maybe it isnt a good idea for you to go on that course.
    You dont want to be in a situation that if you do manage to complete the course and then you are required to help someone with a medical situation at work. You need to know that you will be able to help someone otherwise you might be putting somone at risk.
    I hope this doesnt sound harsh but I think being responsable for other peoples first aid should be taken very seriously.

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Aww thanks for replying already! I did think about talking to work - because you're right - I wouldn't be much good in a medical emergency! The only problem is that everyone is expected to do it and I don't think that anyone would really understand why I didn't want to/actually can't sit through it without fainting.

Hi Ribbon

Even if they say you have to try and do the training at least if you speak to them they will know that it will not possible for you to assist if there is a medical emergency-that would kind of cover you then.

xx

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Thread Information