Thread: Anxiety and can't eat

Anxiety and can't eat

Hi am going throught a period of anxiety at the moment, Am on Citalpram but it doesn't seem that effective. I just can't eat anything, the lack of food is making the anxiety much worse. Everytime i do eat i start gagging and throw it back up. I don't want to be sick and don't have an eating disorder. If i take 2mg of diazapam i can eat a bit but then i just want to go to sleep which makes looking after my children or working really difficult.
    Does anyone else feel like this or have any suggestions.
    Have a big family party tomorrow which is not helping...
    x

Re: Anxiety and can't eat

Hi rosieposie, I can totaly relate to what you are saying, how long have you been taking citalopram? when i first started on cit, i could'nt eat and felt sick, i also used diazapam to help, it is probably just the initial side effects, but they do go away, and your appetite will return. ii can also make you very tired to begin with, and your diazapam will add to that. just be patient, the side effects will diminish, and you will start to feel better, but it takes time. best of luck

I have been on them for about two years so i think it isn;t side effects. Am wondering if the 20mg I am on isn't working.
    xx

Hi, I agree it will not be side effects after all that time, but you could just need your dose adjusted, and that could make all the difference, why not make an appointment with your gp, have a chat and see what he suggests, meanwhile take care

Hi rosieposie,

i used to be like that, the crisis team at that time advised me to try yogurts, smoothies and things like that. You need to try and eat even if it's half a digestive or a cracker. Hope you feel better soon.

ahh thanks guys, I have an appointment to speak to the doctor next week as I was wondering if my thiroid is playing up or my anaemia is back. That somketimes sets me up.
    Am not to sure about adjusting dose as I am worried about the side effects of it. I had a terrible time getting on citalporam the first time. I dont want the side effects again.
    Thanks for yougurt idea. etc. I have been eating bananas as if they are going out of fashion. They are easy on way down and way up
    What is the crisis team by the way Elaine??
    x

hi rosie,
    ive been through this, i couldnt eat a thing for days and im alredy very thin. If i was at home i could manage crackers, especially with something i liked such as philadelphia etc, a biscuit, the best thing was cup a soup, i keep them in my drawer at work in case i have a bad day, also the complan and build up shakes. can you distract yourself by watching tv or listening to some music you like? reading while eating is good, i do this now still and im ok!
    you mustnt let the anxiety win!!!!
    sarah x

Thread Information