Thread: Beginning fluoxetine

Beginning fluoxetine

Hi everyone,

I started on fluoxetine today for depression/anxiety. I tried them around this time last year and only got to day 10 because the side effects were terrible; I felt worse than before I started taking them and I couldn't bear the agitation. But having read some posts on here, I want to try again and get through the first few weeks. To be completely honest, I can't imagine them actually working and feeling better! But I'm going to try...

B x

Re: Beginning fluoxetine

I was on fluoxetine for a few months last year to cope with my health anxiety. They can make you feel pretty bad for the first few weeks (increased anxiety, dry mouth, nausea, suppressed appetite) but that tends to wear off after 2 weeks or so. I wasn't convinced that fluoxetine really worked for me as i still had the obsessive thoughts about my health, but when i decided to come off them, my anxiety returned with avengence within 6 weeks. They're worth a try, you just have to be patient.

That's a shame that they didn't work too well for you. I'm on my third day and I'm starting to feel the side effects now I think.. feeling sick, giddy, strange sensation of wanting to grind my teeth, weird dreams. I'm determined to see it through the first few weeks this time though!

you should just stick at it. I think i may have to return to ssri's again myself as my anxiety has slowly but surley caught up and taken over again. It's a sneaky wee.......lol!

Thread Information