Thread: detached from reality?

detached from reality?

Hi all

Does anyone feel detached from reality or depersonilized? ive been like it for years. I know its a symptom of anxiety but thats it. It started when I was about 18 yrs old but it comes and goes. But recently ive been going out for walks and I feel like im in a dream and its so hard for me to concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds. I just feel so detached from life in general. I also have very lucid dreams. Its really scary. Is there anyone out there who can relate or give any advice?

Love mark xx

Re: detached from reality?

Mark

I found with depersonalisation and derealisation that the minute i stopped feeling fear from it, then it left me, in all my 21 years of anx, they came into my life twice, but the second time as i knew what it was it only lasted a short while.

If you fear it you will fuel it, its not easy to combat but most definately can be done.

Sorry i can't be of more help.

di xx

Yes, only two days I was walking on my own, I was staring at the clouds and I felt so lonely, I felt like I was walking in a dream, not really paying attention to the world around me. I wasn't completely detatched but I felt so isolated in my own thoughts which gives you the feeling that everything around you is hazy. I read that this is because you live inside your head most of the time so when you go outside, etc it takes a while for you to adjust to whats going on.
    I think mine has come from lonliness. I hope you feel better soon. xx

ive had this feeling for 1 year stright i fear it bad so mabe thats why i cant get better its awfull,,i even fear of going out b/c i feel so unreal and like the world aroung me is fake ,,i hope u feel better soon

Quote Originally Posted by Elad View Post
    I always feel like I'm walking through a dream when I'm outside because that's what sparks heavy stress for me, it doesn't usually let up until I've been back home for a while, It's quite distressing but my advice is when it happens just go with it, don't worry over it, don't obsess over it, I know it might be difficult but when you obsess over it you just make things worse.

You said it happens when you go out for walks, how often do you go for a walk? If you don't go very often and you find it stressful that could be what's fuelling it, maybe if you go for a walk more often the feeling will gradually become less and less apparent.
    Hi, I only go out for a walk to my local town about 2 or 3 times a week. Mainly to the jobcentre and maybe a couple of shops and the bank and thats it. I do go out cycling a lot though but dont get it when im cycling. I think youre right though I need to push my self more. Its just the loneliness of doing everything by myself I hate it and its so boring!!

Thanks for youre replys everyone. hope I can sort it out soon.

Hi

I'm 28 I started with major panick attacks when 18 bit of an obsesion with having a heart attack as I used to get chest pains untill about 20, then droped out of college at 22 with more panick symptoms, I managed to get a job with a placement from the job center in small computer shop and held that down for 2 years then family problems hit.

I started to get wierd feelings wile working vision going dim, tunnel vision and really bad stomach issues then 2 weeks befor christmas 2004 I woke up stuck in a dream!

I then quit work and went on the sick as I could not cope and the floresent lights there used to make it worse! and since then my head is like im not here everything I look at is not real.

Its like living you like behind a pane glass of glass or stuck in a fish tank!

I dont venture out much in town I panick want to get home because my vision virtually shuts down goes dim or I get static like on a tv.

My eyes are fine been checked, eeg fine, blood, ECG, heart holter monitor ok and health seem to be all ok.

I wont take meds in fear of makeing it worse and getting deeper into this prison and some SSRI's (setraline) say on the packet may space you out anyway!

I know im going to have to push my self soon and realise this is my head and this is what im delt and hopefully someone can sympathise in a workplace.

I would love a job on my own in my own little world but the world ain't like that!

Carl

Same as me I was 18 when I first started feeling similar. Feels horrible doesnt it? Hope you get better, maybe exerice daily will help you. and talking to someone. I'm also sure my breathing makes me feel dodgy as I forget to breath when I get attacks.

I have had it for four months straight. I've had it so long because I generally do fear it and think about it a lot.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that whenever I thought about it I would immediately distract myself, I also told myself that I cannot be hurt by this and that its just temporary, this helped a lot and I even had some evenings when I barely noticed it which was just awesome at the time. Then I went out drinking at the weekend and its came back abit stronger because of the alcohol which has knocked me a little bit but I know its possible to get out of it.

Exercise is a good way to reduce the symptoms.

Yep, I get it too. Sometimes for months at a time, and then I don't realise that is isn't the normal way to perceive things! It can be very scary, like it seems like my mind is going to permanently detach from my body, or like nothing is actually there including me. I mean like I am not really existing. I went through a phase of taking lots of photos of myself to prove I existed!! When it's more in control, I actually quite like it. Like living in a film or a piece of music. Apparently I create my own reality as I don't like this one!! According to my counsellor anyway...

Hope you're all doing OK. The main thing is, it won't make you go mad, or die!

Hyper xx

Thread Information