Thread: New Anxiety Symptoms?

New Anxiety Symptoms?

Morning all

My name is Nic, I've been lurking on this site for years, its brilliant, such a good source of information and support, and I've been on here many a time looking hints and tips to help me manage with my anxiety.

I've registered this morning as I need your help.

I've suffered with anxiety for about 10 years and it was brought on by a bad breakdown of a relationship, its not as severe as some of you experience and its also not a constant thing with me, I have the usual symptoms, lump in throat, difficulty taking a deep breath, racing pulse and palps.

It usually rears its ugly head once, maybe twice a year, stays for a couple weeks then goes again. I manage it myself, and have only ever been prescribed beta blockers once, the first time I had symptoms. I've come to accept that this is now a part of my life and I just have to get on with it as best I can.

The reason I’ve posted for your help today is that I’ve had quite a bad bout of anxiety over the last 2 or 3 weeks, this is due to a very stressful time at work. Its been very hard, and sometimes its not worked, but I’ve tried to manage it myself the usual way through distraction, deep breathing etc.

For the last week, I’ve developed a dull ache/pain just right of my right shoulder blade (sort of level with bra strap). It doesn’t hurt all of the time, nor does it hurt when I breathe in deeply.

Every now and again the ache comes, and then goes again. When I drink something cold or hot, I can feel the pain when the liquid hits level with where the pain is, it doesn’t happen when I eat though. I do however get a sort of regurgitation after I eat – I’m not bringing up food as such, although, it does feel as if the food is sitting in the bottom of my throat and in my chest area between the ribs. Its more like when you have heartburn and you bring up a thick saliva with bits of food in it (sorry for too much information!). I feel well in myself I think, other than a bit stressed

Im worried that its oesophageal cancer – of course I’ve googled it, which I know is that last thing I should have done, and my symptoms do sort of match. My granddad died of it, which is why it sprung to mind, although I know that it could be a number of things, but we always think the worst don’t we!

Do these symptoms sound familiar – is this another anxiety thing that I’m going to have to put up with? I’m really worried, and the more I worry the worse my anxiety is, I’m just going round and round…

I have made an appointment for Friday morning with my Doc – as I said before, I manage my anxiety myself, so my doctor isn’t really aware that I suffer with it, other than a prescription for beta blockers 10 years ago.
    Do I mention that I suffer from anxiety? I don’t want him to automatically say ‘oh its just another symptom’ and not take my actual symptoms seriously. And if it is just an extension of my anxiousness then I think I need some help, I really cant feel like this anymore, its horrible

Any way I’m starting to waffle now, if anyone has advice, comments I’d be greatful

Thanks in advance
    Nic x

Re: New Anxiety Symptoms?

Hey Nic.
    Your symptoms are exactly mine at the moment. I am having the breathing, smothered feeling along with palps. I too get the occasional pain as your describing and it's always related to excess wind. I think it might be from all those extra breaths we take. Try some peppermint tea and ant-acids and see if it settles.

Kel x

Thread Information