Thread: I don't feel I can cope

Red face I don't feel I can cope

I have a job interview for a job on Monday and I'm worried if I get it I won't cope well..I coped in previous jobs with depression and anxiety/panic attacks but I'm a little worried about loose bowels/frequent ones as I may be in the toilet half my shift and it could be embarrassing and I could get sacked.

I tried some Buscopan but I have a nervous stomach and it's still aiming me need despite three of them a day..so I stopped them. I also have the same worry going on a date..sitting through a movie or going to the pub. I have been on dates but it's been awkward to not think about it usually if I stop thinking about it then it's better.

But I can't stop worrying..it's making it worse it's so much safer to stay at home and avoid everything. Mind you that's no fun either as I sit working myself up and end up needing the toilet. I refuse to accept anxiety causes bowels to go..fed up hearing about diet when I try to improve it and it makes no odds.

Can't cope I feel quite ashamed as it's a trivial issue and I coped with worse panic attacks ..I really don't know how I can distract my mind.

Re: I don't feel I can cope

Hi Phil06

Yeah, I know how awkward it is. I had problems when I started taking Sertraline and I was looking for work at the same time. I landed a job, and thankfully the side effects cleared up before I started the work, but only just.

There are other medications you could try e.g. Immodium?, and years ago I had something called Lomotil from the doctor for a similar problem. I think it's probably worth having a word with your doc to see what he/she suggests. Tell them how crucial this is for you - it may well decide whether you are able to work or not.

Tyke

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Hi Phil06

Yeah, I know how awkward it is. I had problems when I started taking Sertraline and I was looking for work at the same time. I landed a job, and thankfully the side effects cleared up before I started the work, but only just.

There are other medications you could try e.g. Immodium?, and years ago I had something called Lomotil from the doctor for a similar problem. I think it's probably worth having a word with your doc to see what he/she suggests. Tell them how crucial this is for you - it may well decide whether you are able to work or not.

Tyke
    I got the Buscopan from the docs last week and he reckons it's anxiety.

Some days aint bad some are worse..I just fear not being able to work.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I refuse to accept anxiety causes bowels to go..fed up hearing about diet when I try to improve it and it makes no odds.
    Dahlia is quite right: Both of these affect bowels, Phil, and you know it. Anxiety and stress probably even more so than diet.

Also, the more you focus on something and obsess about it - as you do - the more symptoms you will get. Where thought goes, energy flows.

Never Surrender, Comrade

So you think thinking about on my mind all the time is making it as bad as it seems?

I probably worry about it every hour, more than once usually if I am being honest. I do this with a lot of anxiety subjects or worries.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Phil - when I stopped obsessing over every twinge, ache and pain, lo and behold, my symptoms, some of which were debilitating, started to ease. I'm not saying they ALL disappeared and it's ALL in our heads, but focusing on more important things - ie "forgetting naturally", not distracting yourself and consciously trying to block it out of your mind, which is another form of obsession - and getting on with life. I still get multiple symptoms but it's in the background now, not the foreground, ruling my life.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information