Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: been prescribed mirtazapine & 2 scared to try

been prescribed mirtazapine & 2 scared to try

Hi all, male 40, new to forum,
    got a major problem, cant sleep at night worried sick something seriously wrong with me, body wants to rest but mind wont switch off, thought i could handle it so been self medicating, Booze to start with, worked for a while, then used valarium sleep tablets, sort of worked, then sominex promethazine hydrochloride, nocked me out for about 4 hours or so, then as i was using it nightly hardly works at all now, Then been trying kava kava which is ok in the day for a mind number but does nothing for me 2 sleep,
    This all started back in march were i had a major health scare found a lump on my testicle, 2 weeks of convincing myself i was going to die i eventually saw a doctor who reassured me prob a hydrocele, nothing to worry about then went for a ultrasound fortunately confirmed, i was so relieved i cried, but something still wasnt right almost like not a good enough explanation even tho was ok, then my left a right side of my neck felt really swollen, and im convinced my right side of my throats numb, i smoke I did drink, so right now thats my worry, seen 6 doctors & 2 ent drs all saying same thing nothing wrong ?? can my mind really be convincing me of this ?? i would say more dry throat, less saliva, more swallowing, more phleghm 1st thing, and as i said just a general feeling of numbness worried every time i eat as really concious i may have a obstruction, is this my mind focusing on something from anxiety like something new to focus on ? this has been going on for 8 weeks or so, theres no lumps or bumps, glands are fine, also seem to have more wind after eating, doctor said may be more acid produced giving me these symptons, so gave me a omeprazole, just started it, he thinks 80% anxiety, its genuinely real as in physical these symptoms, & i am at dispair now, havent slept right for 6-8 weeks, all the doctors say im ok, but somethings telling me not, i feel week & tired as i got to have some rest to try & feel better, & have been given mirtazapine but im scared to try as dont know how they will work read some scary stuff re: more anxiety etc, im at my witts end & have the horrors of lying awake again tonight for another 7 hours, someone if you have any ideas id appreciate comments sorry for long post ,

Re: been prescribed mirtazapine & 2 scared to try

I took mirtzapine last year it did get my sleep pattern back and the side effects were relatively rare except for head zaps but the issue I had was doctor and others desparately wanted me to goto 30mg so eventually I gave in and after 5 days I ended up going off work as they didn't agree with me at all I went back to 15mg and evetually came off them in February the weird thing was when i stopped taking them I started doing things I used to do ie listening to talk radio in bed all time i was on them i couldn't do this. The other issue I had with Mirtazapine was the withdrawl it was terrible even from such a low dose (I had started doing every two nights) it took about 6 weeks for side effects to disappear.

Mirtazapine is so much better than SRI's but it's just a devil to get off.

when you say didnt agree ? side effects etc ? can you elaborate

The side effects at the beginning were violent head zaps and sometimes got an angry feeling but that was it.

The increase in dose made me go light headed and panicy and I just seemed to get worse as each day I took 30mg when I went back to 15mg that stopped. What does has your doctor started you on?

Hi Martin,

If sleep is a big part of your problem then Mirtazapine will deal with that like no other medication. You have a lot whirling around in your brain at the moment and it seems like you could do with a break from the constant anxious thoughts.

Can I ask you why you are scared to try it? Nothing terrible will happen to you from giving it a small trial. Then you can decide if it's for you or not.

Best of luck and take care of yourself.

BB xx

Yes Mirtzapine is the best for sleep though it did take me 6 weeks to get it in my system I had to use Zopiclone sleep tablets until it did get in the system and don't forget the lower the dose the more it makes you sleep.

was thinking maybe quarter of a 15mg would this be enough ? just for a trial

is there any alternatives to mirt that may help sleep all i see is may cause insomnia & increase anxiety, just what i dont want, yeah my head needs a break for sure,
    i havent even tried it yet scared tho as heard people struggle to function next day, thats scary for me, work for myself so need to be able to function, got young kids to get out of bed get changed etc,

No a quarter is no good as you need to get it in your system you must try what the doctor has prescribed (you haven't said what dose you have) you must give it a few weeks to start working like all antidepressants though I have heard people who say it works first time on here.

Been prescibed 15mg but heard 7.5 effective but damn scared, whats the side effects like steve ?? im a worrier you know that now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information