Thread: citalopram different brand gone pear shaped again

citalopram different brand gone pear shaped again

hi folks

i know this has been asked before by myself also but i have noticed something strange again i have been on citalopram 40mg (not sure of the manufacturer but they come in a white box) since feb 11 and to be quite honest ive been doing ok little blips here and there but nothimg really major.i went to gp for fresh prescription 2 weeks ago and decided to go to a different pharmacy convienience at the time i think but i was given citalopram again but different brand(bristol they are called).now monday felt off then tuesday anxiety crept back and been having a bad go since strange thing is i remember questioning this with pharmacy before with same brand of tablets and this is about the fourth time it has happened i always seem to go off when i either swap brands or take these tablets im taking now.now i know your probably gonna say they are all the same like the parmacist told me but its to coincidental for my liking what do you think.

thankyou

Re: citalopram different brand gone pear shaped again

Hi,
    Sometimes i wonder whether different manufacturers change the drug slightly, i had a similar experience to you when i started a new pack of escitalopram last month. I kept having panic attacks for the first week, i am glad that i am not the only one!!

Different manufacturers sometimes coat their tablets in different things - it's usually a sugar or E-number change, but should only really cause slight differences to you. As an example, I can't use a particular brand as they give me the shakes, and have to stick to either Aurobindo or another (can't remember but its white and purple). If it is an issue, im sure some GPs would happily make a note or even your pharmacist, and try and order specific ones for you.

Yes this is a really interesting one because there are such polarised opinions. When I was on Citalopram I used about three different pharmacies and each time the brand was different, I don't remember any problems with it. I'm now on Mirtazapine and again each time I end up with a different brand, I am sure they are all the same but it struck me the other day that we do take this on trust don't we?

Personally, I think if there is any doubt in your mind then it will just gnaw away at you, so there's no reason why you shouldn't find one brand and stick to it.

I am on escitalopram, and i have kept to the same brand, but everytime i start a new pack i get more panic feelings- then i get really down, it is a feeling in my stomach then an adrenaline surge , then i feel uncomfortable for a while, been on meds for 7 years now, but i wonder whether it is the drug or my anxiety!!
    Last edited by haynsey; 26-06-11 at 13:04.

Thread Information