Thread: Quite desperate really

Quite desperate really

I have been in a severe depersonalised state for a year now.It was so bad that I actually could not remember who I was at all-I lost my sense of self and was living my life on autopilot.The worse thing was the feeling of detachment-that part of me was far away. I had the usual stuff going on in my head -all the thoughts about the strangeness of being a person-and looking at other people and wondering how they felt within themselves etc.

I am totally unable to tolerate antidepressants and have to cope with just diazepam. Well lately my depersonalisation has started to leave me but of course now I am getting back in touch with my whole self I am having quite a shock at how far away I have been. My anxiety has increased to the point where every anxious thought I have makes me tremble-I don't seem to have any insulation between my thoughts and my feelings. I feel pretty desperate really because I know this is who I am and I can't see I will ever change. Just the thought of continuing like this turns me to jelly.

I have tried CBT and EFT (which made me worse so I had to stop).
    I do have the feeling that my brain chemistry has gone out of whack but I am so sensitive to all meds I don't know how to repair my brain. I took half a drop of SJW at the weekend and it increased my anxiety so much I could barely function.I have tried other herbal things recently but I had an adverse reaction to them and I think this is why I am feeling so bad right now!

I have been like this in the past and it took me four years to overcome it. I was on all kinds of drugs then but I think in retrospect they impeded my recovery so I am not keen on going down that route again. I have read all the Claire Weekes books and I know what to do-but I just don't seem to be able to do it at present. I am functioning in the outside world but inside I am torturted. Not sure what to do next....

Any suggestions please?

Re: Quite desperate really

Hi Chrissie,

Sorry you are feeling so low. I was just wondering if it was worth going to talk to your Doctor. There is a huge range of antidepressants with widely differing side effects. In my own expereince I was prescribed Paroxetine which made made me quite high. This really scared me so for a long time I was very reluctant to take any thing else, particualrly SSRIs. I was then prescribed Trazadone, which made me incredibly dopey and I'm not sure it helped much. More recently I have been prescribed Citalopram. When I first start taking it, it was horrible. I used to look at this tiny tablet and think, how can such a small tablet make me feel so awful- sick, cracking headaches, and really odd dreams which I would suddenly wake up from worrying that I might be going mad. After about 10 days I realised that I was staring to feel better in my self but it wasn't till about 3 weeks after I started that the side effects started to feel manageable, but I am so glad I persevered. I feel quite different in side myself and also I feel that this has given me a bit of space to deal with the issues that were causing me stress and anxiety. So hopefully when I stop the citalopram I will be in a better place to deal with life.

So I really think it would be worth going to the doctor and discussing whether there might be an antidepressant treatment that might work for you-and you might need to be prepared to try more than one.

Hope this might help a little.
    Jx

Thank you so much for your reply
    It seems I was suffering from some kind of withdrawal from the herbal things I have been dabbling with-whilst at the same time trying to reduce my diazepam dose.I have never considered myself to be addicted to anything-but I think I was becoming too dependant on Diazepam and reducing the dose and stopping the herbal treatments all at once sent me into a tailspin. I have never known anxiety like it!
    I have been feeling awful for over two weeks but I have woken up this morning feeling much better.
    The uncontrollable anxiety has just stopped.......
    There is no way in the world I would consider anti-depressants again. Even my own GP would not prescribe them to me because I have an extremely sensitive system and she has seen how badly I get affected. I am totally intolerant to most drugs-especially anti-depressants. Its a genetic thing unfortunately-my father was the same....
    I just couldn't understand the type of anxiety I was having but I have been advised by my alternative therapist (acupuncture) I was having withdrawal symptoms. I advise anyone who is dependant on a benzo to be very careful indeed when either mixing it with a herbal remedy or trying to come off it too fast. It was horrible

Thanks again for taking the time to respond

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie,

No problem. I'm really glad you are feeling better now - it is so hard sometimes to see what it is that is actually causing a particular blip- but sounds as though you have done that!

Take care and go gently
    Jx

Thread Information