Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no - I went to A&E

Oh no - I went to A&E

Well, just as I was "getting there" I had a mad episode [:I][:I][:I]I phoned an ambulane (twice!) so 2 arrived (felt awful to waste there time)
    One of the dashed me to A&E (Me Sure I was going to die AGAIN), When I got there I was calming down because I was with a medical person, had all the usual tests done, ECG, Blood Pressure, Blood Test etc etc - As expected all was fine and got sent home - now totally ashamed! my family think im cracking up! and think im attention seeking but believe me this is attention I do not want!

My question - How do I stop myself doing this, At the time I am so convienced I need medical help then as soon as Im with them I start to be ok, feel so ashamed, I try breathing / relaxation nothing works, how can I stop these ridiulous episodes? Any advise please?

Thanks

Wendy

i have been to the a & e so many times due to the attacks and have found that they cant do anything to help me

m.snyman

Arrr wendy darling , im so sorry that happened to you..it was a panic attack thats for sure, i too have felt that clsoe to ringing for an ambalance.. and many of us have..dont fel ashamed for this, as you felt that bad and frightened i see no wrong in this darling.[V]
    Wendy you need do the breathing execises as soon as you get a panic attack it will calm it down...may be hard to do at the time but will help you, or quickley do something to occupy yourself, this feeling will calm and pass..face you fears as claire weeks said dont run from them.

Maybe you should go and buy this book wendy i have it and so many others on this site does too, its a self -help book..you can get it from amazon..its a top buy and helps so much with acceptance.

Mate you know im here for you, and never mind your family..mine think that way too .. and it makes me so upset to be honest.. as if we would feel this way for attention,, what a joke huh wendy.

Thinking of you, remember wendy this is just a minor setback.. try not to concentrate on what happened.. dont feed the fear.. minor setbacks are part of recovery.. you was doing so well, and i want you to continue to.

All my love ashley xxx [^]

hi wendy

i am just the same when i have a realy bad time with eptopic heart beats i get if they get realy bad i get to a&eand in a mad panic thinking i am going to die when i get there i feel safe after a bit they do tests and with in a couple of hrs im home feeling silly and panicy .i sometimes feel like they have missed something and i am still ill
    now when i can i wait for a bit and dont go to a and e just sit down remember what was sead the last time you went have 1 hr befor rushing to hospital and you may feel ok if not ring n h s direct talk to a nurse see if that would calm you down

jodie

It's hard, I've been to A&E twice with a panic attack but I think on the one occasion I had a nasty virus too. It does make you feel quite silly but it also reassures your mind. It's difficult once you get into a negative state of mind, whatever people say it doesn't help. Every so often I get a panic attack but they're becoming more and more manageable now. I didn't find NHS Direct that much help, the nurse said she wasn't sure of the cause and told me to go to A&E to get checked although she did acknowledge that stress from work could be playing a part, which I think it was.

Wendy...

I have done the same exact thing. Its terrible. In a split second i will go from the terror of being sure I am about to die, to the embarassment of wishing I was dead. Its terrible. I also know what you mean about how people believe us to be attention seekers. My family refers to my panic attacks as "fits". "oh no, is she having another fit again?" Its terrible. It makes things so much harder for us. You just have to remember that you did nothing wrong... You are a wonderful person who is just going through a rough time. There is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Heidi

oh wendy i know how you feel i have done this many times and to be honest i have no answers for you because when the panic that something is badley wrong sets in there is nothing that can stop me. i simply try to keep it from those who are judgemental because thats the last thing you need. i just tell my hubby and he says just go jack, whatever it takes to get a bit of reassurance.

and i try not to be too harsh on myself, i know one day i hopefully wont need to do this but for now i just say i hope i dont have to go back but i wont punish myself if i do

your not alone wendy,

jackie

Thanks for all your replies,
    It is good to know its not just me who does this!

Take Care

Wendy xx

Wendy
    will it make you feel any better to know that when you get to a&e that the people you meet there and that deal with you dont think your crazy and dont think that you are deliberately wasting their time,but they do feel it for you. The best thing to do when you start to have a panic attack is to go with it, when you go with it it sends the correct messages to all your systems and it stops it pretty quickly if you contine to fight it then your body thinks that the percieved danger is still there and continues to produce adrenaline and some hormones at a faster rate.
    When you feel a panic attack coming on try andgo and either lie down or sit down close your eyes and tell yoursel im going to relax and whatever is going to happen to me will happen, i know you think im bonkers typing this but beleive me it works ita hard to do the first couple of times but it really works,please try it.

I just want my life back
    nell
    x

Ow wendy you poor soul!
    Im sure most have done the AE thing,so dont beat yourself up about it sweet!Your not cracking up you just havet got this dreadful gremlin under control yet but you will have.xxxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information