Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects?

Re: Citalopram side effects?

Reading all the posts have not help me decide at all /-: not you guys fault, your answers have been very honest and informative... I think if one is unsure, they only want to hear reassurance and as you all say, the course is not all smooth. I have to make a decision to take these tables, I was prescribed them for anxiety and panic attacks. Though I may need a little help to get me over them, I am not in a position to have side effects that will hinder me driving, or do my work (which is one cause for anxiety anyway!) I'm a single mum, so do not want to be ill. thing is no tablet will cure the things that are causing me to feel the way I do, I just need something to help me cope with the occurances so I can move on and be myself again.. My daughter goes into hospital in two weeks and I have to be on form them, I can't have the tablets messing me up like some of the post have suggested. Are the effect really that bad? or should one just allow for the minor adjustment? ...... I'll read some more, and decide later -x-

Hi everybody!

I am new here. After taking citalopram 1a mg for a week I dont get my monthly period (it should have started the 13th). I made a pregnancy test - negative. Could the delay be a side effect?

I have just started Citalopram 20mg 3 days ago. I have read all through this thread & the gist seems to be to be bear with it it gets better.

I am weaning off amitryptiline & flupenthixol at the same time.

Today i have felt awfully anxious & shakey.
    I have just spent 1 1/2 hours crying over my boyfriend of 10 weeks! He knew about my anxiety issues from the start so he's extremely caring & understanding. He kept telling me he loved me which made me cry even more!

So do i contunue taking & grin & bear the initial side effects?

Hi Celeste!

You feel anxious, because Citalopram (and all antidepressive medicin) reaches the effect only after 2-3 weeks. Itt has 2 effects:
    1) After just a few days, you get energy, but your mood is still the same
    2) The medication changes your mood only after 2-3 weeks.

so untill that you can even feel more anxious, sad, but hold on, it can bee worth it.

I think the worst side effect is the sexual (loss of apetite) and thats serious, itt can lead to break up!

been on these for nearly three weeks now on 10mg felt sick the third day and a little onedge the first week but as saidin the other posts oncethe side effects go you do feel alot better.hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Thankyou for your replies. I guess I'ma bit wary as i had a terrible reaction to Seroxat 7 years ago & really don't want a repeat experience. I have read here that its easy to blame every little thing i feel on the Citalopram, which is not to say I wouldn't have felt those things anyway.

4th day today & feel OK. if a bit edgy. I'll stick wit it if it means I will feel better in the long run.
    Thanks again

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and registered because of this very thread.

I started feeling depressed about a year ago from a series of nasty events. Being in denial about depression I turned to cannabis to calm myself down and dull the thoughts I was having. I was using it daily for the past 3 months but stopped completely just the friday past, after finally seeing a doctor and she prescribed me with Citalopram. I took my first of these 2 days ago and still feel like hell.

Within half an hour I felt dizzy so went for a lie down and was met with an increased heart rate which pounded in my head. I got out of bed because I felt restless and panicky because of these side effects. I litterally staggered back to the living room and within 5 minutes I was violently sick. The next day I was sick twice, and today have been wandering around in a daze, with a fuzzy and heavy head. Hardly ate a thing in 2 days.

I called the doctor who told me I was having side effects to the Cit, and suggested I take one of the Oxazepam tablets I was also subscribed.

I don't want to take the Oxazepam or the Cit, because I have never felt so physically ill and drained as how I do now.

Well, I am a little worried, am on Day 2, and looking here you guys are having some issues with this stuff. Bit of background, suffered ptsd after 9/11 (was there for 3 months after the planes hit) plus breakdown following divorce (1st one) then split from family, my business is struggling... I though I was going mad, just had 3 weeks of diazapam... Now on day2 of Citalopram, no side effects, been singing, smiling, focussed on work, This is wonderful stuff... (well day 2 anyway) will keep you informed

I took my first Citalopram tablet last night just after dinner, I was really worried I'd have a bad reaction but felt fine. Mind you today my mouth is really dry and I feel a bit thirstier than usual, also one of my fingers really aches...not sure if that's related though strangely enough I do feel slightly more positive today too...
    Last edited by Louloubelle; 28-08-08 at 12:14.

I think it's extrememly important for people visting these pages who are hesitant of taking such medicines to try to remember that each and every drug has the ability to affect everyone in a different way.

Speaking as someone who has used this for around a year now, with no major side effects at all, and as a Psychology student with a modicum of understanding in this area, it's important for people to of course be aware of what they are entering into when using medication, but also try not to read too much into the experiences of others. What has happened to others may not, and probably will not happen to you.

Unfortunately with drugs of this type, trial and error can sometimes be the only way of finding one which suits you.

It's important to remember also, that Citalopram has a number of uses, and is regarded by many doctors as one of the most effective in terms of combatting anxiety. Side effects are often transient, but try not to be too afraid of these as they almost always pass.

good luck all

Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information