Thread: Sertraline and violent/intrusive thoughts

Sertraline and violent/intrusive thoughts

Hello there everyone,
    Hope you are all doing ok.
    I am having an awful time of it at the moment, so bad that I wish I was dead, to be honest. I have developed an intense fear of schizophrenia/delusions, and my doctor has prescribed me Setraline as he thinks it may help with both the awful depression I have fallen into and my OCD.
    However, I read that Setraline is an SSRI and studies have shown that it can cause an increase in suicidal and homicidal thoughts for people under-35 (although it did stress this is very rare).
    My main OCD problem is violent and intrusive thoughts, mainly about the ones I love the most, and I am worried taking this medication may make these thoughts worse, and, God forbid, act them out. Unfortunately I did the classic OCD thing and went on Google, and the first thing I came across was a boy in America who was on Setraline and who murdered his family and whose lawyer is using this as a defence. That's caused me to worry like crazy and I won't take them.
    I did tell my doctor that I suffered with these thoughts as part of my OCD, and he didn't seem to think it was an issue, but I'm still worried sick about it.
    I know that this side effect is VERY rare (I will emphasise this as I don't want to frighten anyone), but I wondered if anyone else who suffered from violent thoughts as part of their OCD had taken Sertraline, and how they got on with it. Also, if any of you suffer from OCD and are on this, do you find it helps very much at all?

Thanks in advance for your help, and take care.

Lucy x

Re: Sertraline and violent/intrusive thoughts

Hi I havnt taken Sertraline myself .But have been on different meds for Depression /Anxiety .They all work basically the same way .It is possible but NOT for sure ,.That this type of medication can cause you to feel worse with regard to your symptoms for a couple of weeks or so .This is until it gets into your system .I will pass and should leave you feeling much better .Not everyone gets side effects to the same degree.These thoughts are caused by your Anxious state of mind and cases of people acting on them are very very rare .Im sure someone who has taken this and experienced what you are going through will post soon .Googling really is the worst thing you can do to find out what you need .It nearly always leaves you with a bad scenario to add to your problems .It would be wise to perhaps start on half the dose you have been perscribed to start with .Then see how you feel in a few days .If your Dr thinks this will help you must at least try it .It will help you in the long run .You can always come on here if you need some support or go into the Chatroom .I hope you get some more replies soon .Till then try to keep calm and not think of the what if s ..T/c Sue x

Had serious problems with sertraline...put on 50mgs and within 48 hours started to have intrusive thoughts and impulsive behaviour...felt agitated and unable to sit still. Persisted with the medication for 10 days then phoned GP who stopped the sertraline immediately...now on Mirtazapine 30mgs as a starting dose, and apart from feeling a bit sleepy to start with have had no problems...the thoughts of suicide and self harm have gone.

benzogirl

Yeah, i have the same problems with being unable to stay still and very nervous but they are almost gone now. My Dr. said that sertraline is kind of 'activating' so it could make you feel that way in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by happysoon? View Post
    Hello there everyone,
    Hope you are all doing ok.
    I am having an awful time of it at the moment, so bad that I wish I was dead, to be honest. I have developed an intense fear of schizophrenia/delusions, and my doctor has prescribed me Setraline as he thinks it may help with both the awful depression I have fallen into and my OCD.
    However, I read that Setraline is an SSRI and studies have shown that it can cause an increase in suicidal and homicidal thoughts for people under-35 (although it did stress this is very rare).
    My main OCD problem is violent and intrusive thoughts, mainly about the ones I love the most, and I am worried taking this medication may make these thoughts worse, and, God forbid, act them out. Unfortunately I did the classic OCD thing and went on Google, and the first thing I came across was a boy in America who was on Setraline and who murdered his family and whose lawyer is using this as a defence. That's caused me to worry like crazy and I won't take them.
    I did tell my doctor that I suffered with these thoughts as part of my OCD, and he didn't seem to think it was an issue, but I'm still worried sick about it.
    I know that this side effect is VERY rare (I will emphasise this as I don't want to frighten anyone), but I wondered if anyone else who suffered from violent thoughts as part of their OCD had taken Sertraline, and how they got on with it. Also, if any of you suffer from OCD and are on this, do you find it helps very much at all?

Thanks in advance for your help, and take care.

Lucy x

Hi Lucy

I have been taking sertraline for 3 weeks at 50mg not quite sure if they are doing much for me as . But i have founf myself getting more aggitated
    and aggresive with my partner. I was told that it takes up to 6weeks to fully work. Remember everyone is different and just because you think a though it doesn't mean you will act it out. But i would go back to your doctors and ask what else he can give you instead if you are not comfortable with taking these tablets. There are many options out there. Apparently sertraline are ment to be the better tolerated and safer medication to take.

Good luck xx

this happened to me i felt sluggish then started taking sertaline it gave me intrusive thoughts n harm ocd!! grrr xx did 8 weeks on them , been off them 3 weeks . xx still got anxiety n thoughts tho .

Ive been on Sertraline for 8 years and I only started having intrusive thoughts last year...so I dont know if its related as I did read that depression can lead onto OCD/intrusive thoughts anyway...unfortunately with mental illness it often leads to all sorts of difference things but the good thing is it is treatable and you will have bad days but you will also have fantastic days...and you will always have support here. Love & Light xox Sarah

Thread Information