Thread: holiday insurance

holiday insurance

Hi everyone,

I'm going on holiday in 7 weeks and havent yet organised insurance. I tried to do it online today but I dont know whether I'm supposed to inform them that I'm being treated for anxiety/depression. One website I was on actually stated that they wouldnt provide cover for anyone suffering from depression/anxiety (which i thought was a bit harsh). So do you think its relevant or not? Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question, my hubby thinks I should say nothing as he doesnt see what difference it makes. But then I worry about the 'what ifs'. And I dont relish the idea of having to 'declare' my depression to a complete stranger on the telephone either! Then before long I've tied myself in knots....a simple decision and I cant even do that....and another 7 weeks of this to go!!!

Any thoughts anyone?

Coni x

Coni X

Hi Coni

I can only go off what I was told. After my first panic mmmm along time ago. I went to see a gp on holiday in spain. I was told that my insurance does NOT cover panic, anxiety.or any insurance. The gp was nice and said he would put down something else so I can claim my money back.

I agree that it is a bit harsh, but all insurances are different, there is no harm in looking around and asking, you don't have to say that it is YOU who is suffering.

I have been away at esater to spain for the first time in a long time and never even give it a thought about the insurance.

In my oppinion, it was not relevant, if I am going to panic or have anxiety so be it. I know what to do and what it is and I new that if I needed help I could always find a pc and come on her for reasurance from the special people on this site.
    I never needed that help and had a great holiday.

Not sure if I've been of any help.

I do hope you can get things sorted and go on to have a great holiday, like I did. Where are you going?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

hey coni,
    r u on meds for ur anxiety?? i just got normal travel insurance and didnt say anything- but im not on meds.
    Ammegxx

Hi Coni, it's not a stupid question at all.

I went through the same issues last year when our insurance came up for renewal. We have a joint yearly insurance as my partner works in the travel sector. It asked whether you suffered from phsycological (I can never spell that word!!) problems. I decided to ignore it and say nothing in the end. I've not had anti-depressants and so I just worked on the hope they would never find out about my panic attacks. I did have councelling and also did a MIND course referred by the GP so I presume there is stuff on my records. However, I felt confident enough in dealing with the attacks through books and CD's and so I knew there was little chance I would go to a doctor for anxiety related stuff while away.

For anything else, I don't see how it should make any difference. For example, if you were unfortunate enough to break a leg etc, I fail to see how this would not be covered as it is a physical injury and therefore unrelated to any anxiety or depression.

I guess it boils down to your own feelings of whether you would ever use a medic overseas for anxiety related stuff?

I don't work in the insurance industry so maybe there is someone out there that does, or knows someone who does, that could shed more light on it? Sometimes they will use any excuse not to pay out. However, as I say, if your claim is unrelated to a predisposed condition then I fail to see how they could wriggle out of it.

All the best,
    Trev

Hi
    Im just back from holiday and I took out the travel insurance with First Choice but I was told it didnt cover anxiety or depression. I telephoned the insurance company up and paid a small supplement (about £12 for 5 days) to cover me for anxiety but they DONT cover depression.
    Personally I think its better to notify them to keep yourself right.

Hope the hols goes well for you and this has been a little help.

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Hi

I think darkangel is correct, its a supplement that you will pay on your insurance thats all. if you dont inform the insurance company and you have a bad reaction that requires treatment and they find out you are a long term suffer it may invalidate your insurance.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was worried youd all think I was a bit daft for asking so thanks for reassuring me that I'm not lol! I do take medication so I think I will phone one of the companies take a deep breath and admit all. Its not worth the worry if I dont declare it (I'd probably give myself a panic attack worrying about it!).

Jill, we're going to the Port Aventura resort in Salou....a 2 hour flight is way long enough for me!

Thanks again everyone....much appreciated.

Coni X

i told my travel insurance because they may well contact your gp if you break a leg and need to claim - when i rang them they said that psycological problems weren't covered and didn't matter for the rest of the cover

i felt much happier having been straight with them - there is such a taboo against being open about anxiety and depression - its so common that we need to be more open to demistify it - i have been careful who i tell but now that i'm stronger i'm happier to admit that i have suffered knowing that it is not a sign of weakness as i first thought it was

my insurance is http://www.worldwideinsure.com/

enjoy the trip
    jos

Hi Coni

Ohhhh Salou, I have been there [^][8D] we went to port Aventura theam part. I even went on the biggest ride there, Dragon carn [:O] even went on it 3 times. JFDI LOL [8D]

It is a lovely place and you will have a great holiday.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Thanks Jill, its sounds great....the rides might depend on how brave I'm feeling tho...lol!

Coni X

Thread Information