Thread: Long term use of Cipralex

Long term use of Cipralex

Hi,

does anyone know if it's harmful to take cipralex over large time periods? Will the body adjust to it, so that you eventually require larger doses to get the same effect?

I've been going down from 20 to 5mg over the last year and a half. I tried quitting a couple of times, but that didn't work very well. Now I've been quite determined to stay on as small a dosis as possible over the last 6-8 months (5 mg). But I feel like shit. I'm constantly angry and nervous. Recently I was at a party and I beat the shit out of a guy. I'm feeling quite depressed as well, and I realised I had a much better life quality when I was on 20mg.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Re: Long term use of Cipralex

Hi Hallvardo

It seems the medication worked for you at a higher dose... There are some options to try though. Look at getting some exercise, finding ways to rest and relax, having been violent at another person you should find a way of releasing stress that don't involve hurting somebody else.

Have you been to a therapist? If so did they give some tools to practice to help supplement the meds ?

How about your doctor what is being suggested, an increase in dose?

Hope this helps

Hi anxious in Canada!

I've always been doing a lot of exercise (boxing, cross country skiing, running, soccer, trekking), but I did that when I started on the cipralex, when I was on 20 mg, and I'm still doing it, so I think of that as a "constant". My pshychologist also advised me to be physically active.

However, I'm considering increasing my dosis, perhaps back to 20 mg if that helps me feel better. It could be better for the people around me as well.

My doctor has no specialization in this field, and he just says "hmmm... ok... maybe you should increase the dosis. If you still feel unstable you should probably increase the dosis."

So I would just really like someone to tell me whether I could augment the cipralex to 10 or maybe 20 mg without becoming addicted for life. I mean, if I'm still suffering from social anxiety, and if I'll continue to suffer from it for the next 10 years, then perhaps my life would be better this way. My concern is only that I'll become "addicted", and reach a point of no return where nothing can help me, or the side effects will be so severe that I'll simply have to cut down and face the (severe) consequences.

Any advice appreciated!

Hallvardo of Norway

I was on 10mg/day for 5 yrs til I finally said enough and got off it.
    I halved the dose for 2 weeks then just stopped.Had head spins for a couple of days but nothing serious enough to keep me off work.
    I know that's not the recommended way but it workrd for me.
    Never felt better since giving em up and will never go back on any anti d's.
    Don't get me wrong.They did a good job when I needed em but there comes a time to stop.
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi Hallvardo

I can't speak to the long term use of these meds....addiction and such. The main thing to focus on is being better, and if you require a stronger dose then the key is to accept it and live your life. I have used this analogy before but a diabetic who needs insulin to live takes a needle or pill every day...if it requires you take a med for an extended period of time then so be it.

The exercise you are doing is awesome, what about relaxation? Do you have hobbies or things you enjoy to allow you to destress? Perhaps yoga, meditation, musical, nature hikes etc...whatever you really enjoy and can clear your mind. Do you have an outlet to talk through your issues, a close friend or family member so you talk it out?

You may be one of the lucky ones who can quit the meds and be fine, but most people will have to have developed rituals/ habits to cope with the negative thoughts.

You should really talk to your psychologist again, and get an expert opinion on what will work for you to get rid of the meds if that is your goal, in the meantime use them as a crutch to get you to a place where you work on defeating the anxiety/depression...

Just my offer of advice, take from it what you will...

Take care.

Thanks Anxious-in-Canada,

I'm back on 10 mg now for a couple of weeks, and I'm definitely feeling better. Less agressive, less worried and less depressed. The funny thing is that with the increased dosis, I also worry less about the possible side-effects and becoming immune or addicted.

For relaxation I find trekking to be the best activity for me. I just got back from a week in the mountains with just my dog, a tent and fishing gear. It might sound like something for weird loners to some people, but I do a couple of such trips every summer, and it's one of the highlights of the year. After a long walk there's nothing like making a camp fire and cooking some newly caught trout. No iPhone or internet, no stress and no people. Just me and my ******* dog:-)

Thread Information