Thread: Brisk left arm reflex- urgent neuro referral :-(

Brisk left arm reflex- urgent neuro referral :-(

I have had a weird left arm for 2 weeks now, it feels weak and all of the muscles in it are feeling strained and tingly. Some times cold. I also randomly get a deep throbbing pain in my shoulder blade.

I went to the Drs on tues and she did strength test which she said was fine but then she tested my reflexes and my left arm was very brisk, it was strange to watch and also gave me a strange feeling in my arm . She knows about my anxiety and said that she would have to refer me to a neurologist and not just because she wanted to reassure me but because my brisk reflex was not normal

I have stupidly googled and everything has come up with ALS, MS, MND with a brisk reflex in one limb

I'm so scared

L.xxxxx

Re: Brisk left arm reflex- urgent neuro referral :-(

Google should also have brought up nerve entrapment from the cerival spine but I bet you didn't read that one! Seriously somewhere on google you should have come across this as a cause but it won't be at the top of the list.

I have severe arthritis in the neck and a trapped nerve and I have weird reflexes but this is normal for this condition - so yes you need to see neuro and probably have mri scan of your spine etc but it could be as simple as a bit of damage to your neck that is not nice but not life threatening.

Let us know how you get on.

What do you mean by brisk left arm?
    Sorry I'm just trying to picture it and see what my arms reaction would be.
    x

Reflexes have a normal speed and can be fast or slow. My trapped nerve gives me a very slow reflex so when the neurosurgeon hit my elbow reflex it was slow to react compared to normal or it could have been over fast to react and reacted violently.

My left arm literally jumped out at her when she did it, she did it a few times and each time it was the same.

Thanks country girl - no that didn't come up on google, still scared though as it says a nerve problem would make the reflex diminish.

What did she do and where?

She used that instrument they tap you with, she put her fingers over the middle of my arm and tapped it with this thing and it jumped a lot and felt very strange.

Countrygirl

I just wanted to say thanks for the info, I have now calmed down and looked into cervical spine nerve entrapment and it does say you can also have a brisk reflex.

Still worried but have calmed down thanks to you. Hope I can return the favor in the future.xxxx

Thread Information