Thread: Anyone out there suffering from esophageal spasms due to anxiety and stress?

Anyone out there suffering from esophageal spasms due to anxiety and stress?

I have a hiatus hernia and I suffer from episodes of heartburn. Lately I had a lot of anxiety and a few days ago I was feeling especially in the morning a discomfort when I was swallowing my food. I could feel the food going down like when you have a very strong alcoholic drink that burns your esophagus the same sort of feeling. This morning I felt the same sort of thing while eating breakfast, and about 30 minutes later I got a pain in my chest that was quite bothersome and I started to feel panicky thinking it could be a heart related pain. I became a bit short of breath and my heart was beating fast. I decided to go to the hospital to the emergency department to have it checked out.
    The Doctor said he didnīt think it was heart related and told me it was a esophageal spasm. Still I had my blood pressure taken and an ECG. The Doctor gave me intravenous muscle relaxant, paracetamol and Nexium. He prescribed Omeoprazol (Prilosec). I felt better afterwards but my chest and back felt a bit sore afterwards, like an aftermath effect. Do any of you suffer from this condition? I don't know if it's going to be a regular symptom from anxiety I am concerned.

Re: Anyone out there suffering from esophageal spasms due to anxiety and stress?

I have a hiatal hernia and reflux problems as a result. I often get palpitations or racing heart because of it.

It doesn't worry me, anxiety will only make it worse, so instead of worrying I just manage it the best that I can. Sometimes it's frustrating because of the weird symptoms, but it's just reflux and it's not the worst problem to have so I don't let it get to me.

Relaxing about it and just learning to manage it the best that you can will probably be a big help to you x

Re: Anyone out there suffering from esophageal spasms due to anxiety and stress?

Thanks for your reply. I had chest pains and I freaked out, because when I read about chest pains in the net they always say you have to rush to emergency, so I panic thinking my God, maybe I am having a heart attack, I was very scared therefore my heart started to beat faster and fear took over me. The Doctor said it's nervous esophaegal spasm. That is why I decided to post the question to see if it was a normal condition for anxious people.

You will find lots of people here who suffer chest pains and palpitations, anxiety can do some strange things to the body!

Esophageal spasms?

Anxiety can create an increase in reflux symptoms, and reflux can lead to esophageal spasms.

You are right HoneyLove that is what the Doctor said, they are triggered by anxiety. I am trying to find ways to relax but I find it difficult because of the situation at the moment but I am trying my best!!

Thread Information