Thread: Stubborn Depression - Should I Consider Lithium?

Stubborn Depression - Should I Consider Lithium?

I've been diagnosed with Chronic Depression and PTSD. Am taking Mirtazipine 15mg daily, was on 30mg but felt too doped up and didn't like the weight gain. I've been on Mirtazipine since April 2016. I still feel depressed, the only thing it helps with is my sleep and my anxiety is still bad some days so I take Valium for that, which I've got addicted to and am now weaning myself off with GP support.

I'm wondering if a mood stabiliser such as Lithium would help with persistent depression? I have concerns about its long term use such as kidney/liver damage. If anyone is on it and would like to comment good or bad?

I'm fed up with my mood swings which have gone on since my teens. I've lost both parents in the past 4 years so I know that would be enough to trigger depression. I'm very up and down, more downs, seems to be worse since I've reduced my medications. Any advice please?

Re: Stubborn Depression - Should I Consider Lithium?

Hi MichelleS I too suffer from depression,low moods,have bad nights sleep (not every day though) Don't get me wrong meds can help, but shouldn't be relied on totally and can be used in conjunction with Therapies like counselling/cbt. If you watch on catch up tv ITV Hub This Morning (yesterday) they talked about the over use of antidepressants that some dr's dish out like sweets well worth a look. Think long and hard about taking another med. I am med free myself and waiting for a course of CBT to come through. Cheers

The only downside to that I can see, would be the weight gain. I've read lithium can cause substantial weight gain (obviously this is different for everybody) and as you've already mentioned the mirt weight gain. That's the main reason I won't touch an antidepressant. (Although I have BDD so even a small weight gain is a massive deal to me).

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not keen on the weight gain prospect and I will discuss my anti-depressant medication with my GP at my next visit. I honestly don't feel it's working so what's the use in taking it? Ween myself off that too and see how I go?

Hey Michelle, sorry to hear that you're feeling so awful, I too am diagnosed with severe clinical depression.
    In 2014 I was hospital for three months where I was put on a lot of medication.. Quetiapine as a mood stabiliser, mirtazapine 45mg & venlafaxine for my depression and anxiety. (and so on ..)
    Since then I have at my worst gained five stone, lost any energy or motivation to do anything (what little I had is gone) and you just feel like a compliant blob!! the effect it has had on my self esteem has been horrendous, also once you start taking it you have to keep having doses increased as your body tolerates it more and more.
    I have a friend on lithium aswell and I really wouldn't recommend any of it atall!! Have the doctors suggested any SSRI'S to help? As I know people who take these with very little if not no weight gain and an improvement in mood, also if you're experiencing anxiety aswell and want to come off Valium yiou could ask about promethazine? it isn't as strong but is non-addictive and can help take the edge off! They now use this a lot with inpatients as an alternative to Valium!
    Hope that this has helped a little bit and that you're feeling a little better.
    I too am really, really struggling at the moment so you're not alone and if you need to chat then please message me

Thread Information