Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to ask dr for meds?

Is it time to ask dr for meds?

hey guys & gals.

hope this is the right section i'm posting in. i've read this forum for a while over the past few years as i suffer from some anxiety.

i think i might be at a point where i need to ask a dr for some more medication.

i lost my parents at age 15 and 16. i'm now 28, ever since that i've felt depressed. i went to a counsellor for a while when i was 21/22 but i don't think it helped really. i never went on any medication for that. i've forgotten what it feels like to feel 'normal'.

2 years ago i started to suffer badly from social anxiety, i ended up doing cbt last year and that definitely helped, although it's still there a bit. i do take 1-3 x 10mg of propranalol a day which helps.

i would love to feel 'normal'. i think the anxiety makes the depression worse. there's a few things it stops me doing, i'd love to join a gym and get fit but i fear it'd be too busy there. i've never really had a proper girlfriend either, so that makes me feel really lonely. i'm stuck in a sh!t paid stressful job too. i always think one day suddenly that'll all change and i'll get a good job and meet a nice girl but i've been waiting for that day for so long now.

do you think it's time to ask the dr for some meds for the depression? i've always felt skeptical as i didn't want to rely on something. i do feel now like i rely on the propranalol, although one morning i forgot to take the tablet and the day was ok

Re: Is it time to ask dr for meds?

If you feel like asking for tablets is what you need then i'd say go for it because it sounds like you're ready to x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

^^ Exactly. The fact that you are asking this question indicates that it is time to at least explore this possibility with your doctor. best wishes.

maybe you're both right, let you know how it goes

It's normal to struggle after loss...especially if the loss was traumatic, as often is when you are a child. My guess is that since you've felt depressed for over a decade, you might have some untreated PTSD. Have you been to counseling/therapy? I recommend that if you are bad enough for medication, you will probably benefit from therapy as well. They really go hand in hand.

I went to the DRs today and he suggested the cbt again. However I don't have the spare time to go to that, I can't go the same day each week. He prescribed sertraline 50mg, but take half each day for the first week. I'm skeptical to try these after reading about horrendous side effects. Although I think I might start it as off sunday as i have 3 days off from then.

Hi nesky I think it's important to tell your gp what medication you are currently on and always read the possible side affects as some can be real bad. Give it time for them to take effect (which Iam sure you know And any side effects that really make you feel worse again see your Gp! Do you have any friends? I would if you though CBT helped try and combine the 2 and tell the therapist you cant do the same day every week they may be able to help with that Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hi nesky I think it's important to tell your gp what medication you are currently on and always read the possible side affects as some can be real bad. Give it time for them to take effect (which Iam sure you know And any side effects that really make you feel worse again see your Gp! Do you have any friends? I would if you though CBT helped try and combine the 2 and tell the therapist you cant do the same day every week they may be able to help with that Cheers
    hiya, yeah dr knows that i'm already on propranalol, it's the same health centre that prescribed it.

i remember before with the cbt it had to be the same day each week, but with my current job i can't do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by nesky View Post
    hiya, yeah dr knows that i'm already on propranalol, it's the same health centre that prescribed it.

i remember before with the cbt it had to be the same day each week, but with my current job i can't do that now.
    Hiya it's worth asking your new employer if the can give you some slack regarding this same day for CBT or ask at the centre you have the therapy at, sure something can be arranged to suit all So how you feeling today?! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hiya it's worth asking your new employer if the can give you some slack regarding this same day for CBT or ask at the centre you have the therapy at, sure something can be arranged to suit all So how you feeling today?! Cheers
    not bad cheers, you?

probably wait until sunday to start the meds. i think my current employer would probably be alright with it, but i hate this job so i'm hoping to start a new one soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information