Thread: Questioning my therapy

Questioning my therapy

Hi everyone.

I've been in therapy for about 8 months now, and my symptoms have changed over time.

I'm seeing a therapist at the student health centre of my university, and I feel like they just don't really help. They are all very young, just graduated people.

First of all, I suffer with intrusive thoughts, and I seem to get worse and worse. I'm not offered CBT, but 'client-based therapy' (I don't even know what it is). Every time I mention that I would prefer CBT (which is also given at the student health centre) she says that the results of client-based therapy and CBT are the same and that I don't need CBT.

Secondly, she always plans my appointments with more gaps between them. Now I'm already in a 3 week gap, which I feel is just too much for me. I much prefer to go there every week. It's a hard time for me at the moment because my boyfriend is away skiing with his friends, and I told her, but she just seem to doesn't mind and still lets me wait 3 weeks!? (I also have to mention that it's not that she's fully booked. She has place a lot of the times, she just doesn't want me to come that much.

Is this all normal?

Re: Questioning my therapy

Eight months is a long time, unless you're in psychoanalysis in which case it's barely the beginning...

I you don't feel as if you're being helped by these sessions then it's certainly time to consider whether you might wish to go elsewhere. A university counselling service will have somebody in charge. Perhaps you might ask to begin again with a different therapist.

I've just finished working with an OCD client. She's free of it now. I hope you can find the same level of peace. You will, when you find the right therapist.

Best wishes

Paul

Thread Information