Thread: Finally scheduled an appointment after nearly a decade!

Finally scheduled an appointment after nearly a decade!

I'm nearing a decade since I have been to talk to somebody about my anxiety and in addition to it, how down it gets me.

In the last decade, Drs were more than happy based on my long history of an anxiety disorder to just prescribe me any anti depressants or benzos (xanax) left and right without hesitation. I basically lived on xanax for years to cope, never going for the therapy to TEACH ME how to cope WITHOUT medicine.

Well, after 2 days of actively attempting to make the call/schedule it (more accurately it's taken me years to schedule one), I finally made an appointment with a licensed psychotherapist in my town. It took a while to find one and it got discouraging - in the US, you need to find who takes your insurance and since it is all private care, it is hard to get an actual appointment in a timely fashion. Some places was a 2 month waiting list.

On the 27th, I will be heading there immediately after work. I feel like I may need a xanax just to even get through the initial appointment and evaluation. I'm scared - anxious - feel sick about it - the waiting room - the appointment - what they will think of me - etc etc.... if it'll be a waste of time - I'm just plain scared! I know it will probably be okay but how do you actually get through the initial appointment???

Re: Finally scheduled an appointment after nearly a decade!

For lack of a better response you just do. I went for the first time well over a year ago, I had the same apprehensions, especially about being judged or if I would see someone I knew, etc. I basically sat in the waiting room reading off my phone. After the initial visit I didn't care anymore about any of that as I was helping myself feel better and that's the only thing that really mattered. You'll be just fine. Best wishes and congrats on taking the steps needed to help yourself, that's a great thing.

Always discuss medical concerns with your Dr.

Re: Finally scheduled an appointment after nearly a decade!

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonian View Post
    For lack of a better response you just do. I went for the first time well over a year ago, I had the same apprehensions, especially about being judged or if I would see someone I knew, etc. I basically sat in the waiting room reading off my phone. After the initial visit I didn't care anymore about any of that as I was helping myself feel better and that's the only thing that really mattered. You'll be just fine. Best wishes and congrats on taking the steps needed to help yourself, that's a great thing.
    Thanks - only just noticed your reply - been there a few times since this - more going over a past verbally/emotionally abusive period I experienced prior - that ended a couple years back - however still need to deal with the person as they are my child's father - so I'm more or less learning to deal with that.... dealing with this because it greatly affected my anxiety and would make it come about. It's been helping that majorly. I also read the suggested e-books that my therapist speaks of plus a few on my own.

Just started to tackle my health anxiety and general anxiety I have - I'm pretty logical overall but when it comes to a few hours or few days, I can be momentarily convinced something is terribly wrong with something health wise - usually only lasts hour tops luckily I find most of the time.

My anxiety is very good right now - aside from some stupid palpitations and normal mom worries, I've been very comfortable. Going to a therapist is nice - and at first I thought - woman is going to think I'm crazy. But she didn't. She told me where I was being rational or irrational with worries. I do still fear judgement from her but not as much so anymore. I try to just buckle down in sessions with her and focus on "okay - what can I do to feel better daily and overall via my mindset." And that's what we're working on!

Thread Information