Thread: massage and panic

massage and panic

hi everyone,
    i don't know if i'm posting this in the right place, apologies if i'm not.
    one of my colleagues recently re-trained as a masseuse - i heard that massage is really good for reducing anxiety and she is a really good friend of mine so i thought i'd give it a go and went along this afternoon. it was quite intense - one hour full body massage, but i felt really relaxed immediately afterwards. within half an hour i started feeling really weak and a bit weird and now i'm feeling really panicky.
    is this normal? she said i'd feel sluggish for a day or two but i'm beginning to feel really rough. it's so annoying because i've been feeling so much better recently and now i feel terrible.
    i tried doing yoga a couple of weeks ago and felt terrible afterwards - thought maybe it was too strenuous. massage has made me feel just as bad - i feel like there is nothing i can do to help myself relax (apart from meds which i am trying to avoid).
    sorry to bang on about it,
    henri x

ah henri sorry to hear you are feeling ruff iv had a massage b4 and was ok and i do yoga too which i love not sure why u have taken badly to it, not really sure mmm its a weird one that hop u feel better tmrw try not to think about it to much hen xx

kairen x

hello Henri,

I've never had a proper massage so have no real experience myself but I do know that it can leave you feeling really weak for a while. It could be because of that that your body is panicking as it's a similar symptom to the one you get when panicking. Try to relax for a while and I'm sure you'll feel better soon..

Sarah

Henri,

I expect that as you started feeling weak that you started thinking about how it was wierd and the panic came from the train of thought about how you felt and not from the actual body.

The massage will have moved all your sluggish fluids about especially the lymphatic fluid that drains toxins and if you have never had this it can leave you feeling weak and drained.
    Additionally it will have massaged out tension from your muscles so instead of being hard and tight they will be softer and more floppy which adds to the weak feeling .

In reality it's leading to a good effect and the best thing you can do is drink 2 glasses of water and go to bed and sleep and let your innards have a chance to sort themselves out whilst you rest. You will feel much better when you wake up.

Yoga should not be strenous- what happened there.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Henri,

Am qualified at massage...Just a question but are you on any meds at the moment? Nothing to worry about if you are...but with the massage that may have caused you to feel like you did.

Another thing with massages is it affects people different ways. You can feel quite achy sometimes especially if you had a deep one. Gets the lymphatics working nicely...also if you are a wee bit down, cause it relaxes you get a little teary..once again nothing to worry about as this is good.

I would keep up with them if they help. It certainly helps me if I have PA's. Funnily enough it relaxes me and hubby don't complain!!

with good wishes

Zena

Henri ,

Glad to hear from you last night that this has resolved and indeed you slept brilliantly.

Shows that the massage worked and did its thing.

Yes, go for the next one you've booked.
    You know what it feels like now and what to expect, although the first one usually shifts most of the toxins and thus the feeling weak stuff will not be as pronounced for subsequent ones so you can enjoy it more.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thread Information