Thread: Is this Derealization?

Is this Derealization?

Around 3 weeks ago I suffered a horrendous panic attack after a bout of aura migraine that had lasted 4 days (1 migraine each day).
    Since then I have been in a constant state of panic, tense and scared.
    My main fear comes from feeling like I am no longer myself, I can't think of the future or imagine certain things. 2 months ago I was happy and planning life, Im getting married and I wanted to have a baby.
    Now I can't even imagine having a baby, I feel like a veil is over my brain. My memories are hard to recall, and I have periods where my brain is just in a fog and I can barely think. Things don't make sense, places and travel don't make sense. Im going to get married this saturday (which I think helped to push me to the panic attack), and we were going to go to Monterey for a small honeymoon. Previously I could think about this trip and see it in my minds eye, now it seems shrouded in darkness and fog to even imagine it.
    Time is also difficult to comprehend, time is going by faster or slower than I think. Its hard to imagine 2 weeks from now, 6 months from now.
    Ive felt something similar a long time ago (it felt like it was strange to be in my own head, like I was a floating brain) when I was younger and I eventually got over the feeling after ignoring it and trying to rationalize through the weird feeling.
    Is this derealization? Or is this something different?
    Last edited by maddykip; 19-07-17 at 17:30.

Re: Is this Derealization?

Hi!

While I can't diagnose you, this sounds exactly like me. I've suffered from DR many times in the past when not anxious, but only short-time. Now I've been in this state basically for over a month. Sometimes it goes away when I get busy, but when I start thinking about myself and my condition, it comes back.

I find that engaging with the real world helps most. Go out, talk to people. And enjoy your honeymoon! I spent over a week abroad and I felt almost 'normal' there, regarding not only DR, but anxiety itself.

Hope you feel better soon.

Re: Is this Derealization?

Quote Originally Posted by sheslostcontrol View Post
    Hi!

While I can't diagnose you, this sounds exactly like me. I've suffered from DR many times in the past when not anxious, but only short-time. Now I've been in this state basically for over a month. Sometimes it goes away when I get busy, but when I start thinking about myself and my condition, it comes back.

I find that engaging with the real world helps most. Go out, talk to people. And enjoy your honeymoon! I spent over a week abroad and I felt almost 'normal' there, regarding not only DR, but anxiety itself.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Thank you for the reply! I very much want to enjoy my wedding day and my honeymoon, Ill do my best to engage in the world!

Thread Information