Thread: Full Blood Count query ~ urgent plse

Full Blood Count query ~ urgent plse

Hi, could someone please advise, I can't work out what I should do!

I went to see my GP yesterday, I've been told I have severe Osteoarthritis, which has flared up at the moment so my leg/hip is quite painful. I also have a urine infection, for which I am currently taking my second lot of antibiotics (Nitrofurantoin).

As my hip is bad, I asked whether I should have a blood test and he agreed it would be a good idea and gave me a sheet to take to the hospital for a full blood count, which I was going to have done tomorrow. He pointed out that 'as I have a urine infection anyway....' and tailed off, but of course he meant that this would show up in the results as my white blood cells being raised.

I stupidly didn't think to ask him if I should wait until after taking the 7 days course of antibiotics. He didn't say to wait, but now I'm thinking, the raised white blood cells will show up and I won't know if it's my urine infection or another infection, perhaps in my hip. I would like to get the blood test out of the way but if it's going to be pointless because of the urine infection! I phoned the pathology department and the receptionist was worse than useless!

I know that a blood test won't show exactly where the infection is but is it a case of receiving the results, it showing raised white blood cells and me being none the wiser as to where the infection is? Arrrgh

Sorry for the long post.

TIA
    Last edited by littlewren17; 13-10-17 at 12:33.

Re: Full Blood Count query ~ urgent plse

Could you wait until you have completed the course of antibiotics and your UTI has been resolved? Only because as you say, you won't know whether your WBC has been affected by the known UTI or by an OA related issue in the hip. Waiting 7 days for the blood test may make things clearer but of course I'm no doctor so could you check with your surgery to see what they suggest? I presume there is no huge urgency for the blood test? Failing that NHS111 may be able to advise you?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Could you wait until you have completed the course of antibiotics and your UTI has been resolved? Only because as you say, you won't know whether your WBC has been affected by the known UTI or by an OA related issue in the hip. Waiting 7 days for the blood test may make things clearer but of course I'm no doctor so could you check with your surgery to see what they suggest? I presume there is no huge urgency for the blood test? Failing that NHS111 may be able to advise you?
    Hi Pulisa, thank you for your reply. I suggested the blood test to my GP and he said it was a good idea, I just wish I'd said at the time shall I wait until I've finished the antibiotics. I suppose I wanted to get the blood test done while my hip is bad. Unfortunately that GP is off today. I feel that the receptionists would fob me off, like the pathology one did! Hmm, can't decide what to do but it makes sense what you say about the white blood cells showing because of the UTI. I just didn't know if different ones showed for different infections.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewren17 View Post
    Hi Pulisa, thank you for your reply. I suggested the blood test to my GP and he said it was a good idea, I just wish I'd said at the time shall I wait until I've finished the antibiotics. I suppose I wanted to get the blood test done while my hip is bad. Unfortunately that GP is off today. I feel that the receptionists would fob me off, like the pathology one did! Hmm, can't decide what to do but it makes sense what you say about the white blood cells showing because of the UTI. I just didn't know if different ones showed for different infections.
    I don't think so. The WBC is broken down into lymphocytes/leukocytes/neutrophils etc but the total WBC would be raised with any infection in the body. Could you ask any doctor in your practice for this info?

I don't think so. The WBC is broken down into lymphocytes/leukocytes/neutrophils etc but the total WBC would be raised with any infection in the body. Could you ask any doctor in your practice for this info?
    I've just phoned the surgery and the receptionist just said the doctor's off (which I knew) and to come in and see another if I want advice. So unhelpful.

I'd try NHS111 then. They may be more helpful?

I'd try NHS111 then. They may be more helpful?
    I decided to leave it in the end, but thank you for your reply. I will go the day after I finish the antibiotics.

Thread Information