Thread: METHOD: Tongue Pressure for Anxiety Relief

METHOD: Tongue Pressure for Anxiety Relief

This is an extremely simple tip and I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

- Push the tip of the tongue firmly against the gum behind the front two teeth. Maintain this pressure the whole time you are out, except when you need to speak.

- In especially anxious situations, breathe out through the nose in short, sharp exhales while maintaining the tongue pressure. Each exhale causes a reflexive inhale. This will dissipate anxiety very quickly when it arises.

Pushing the tongue against this area activates nerves which are part of the "positivity circuit". These nerves being turned on is the origin of both the phrases "stiff upper lip" and "keep your chin up" (as the chin will also rise when doing this). It turns off and directly counteracts the jaw clenching which is part of the strong "negativity circuit" of anxiety and rumination. Mapping the neurological circuits, and how to activate them consciously, is a very important part of being able to consciously control your mood.

Tongue pressure against the front teeth will cause the head to rise and will improve posture dramatically. It will also tend you towards smiling, since that is on the same positivity circuit you are activating. It also keeps the top of the spine active for positive upward energy flow, whereas in the anxiety state lower spine regions (e.g. the adrenal circuit) tend to be more active.

If you find your tongue naturally favouring one "nook" to the left or right of the front two teeth, e.g. between the left and left-middle incisor or right and right-middle incisor, then let it push there instead. This is a natural correction for asymmetrical nerve activity in the face caused by myofascial winding/distortion (but do not worry about that at all while out and about). If the tongue also wants to push against the bottom front teeth at times you should also allow that.

This is insanely simple yet has dramatic, tangible positive results in an almost immediate time frame, with positivity increasing the longer the tongue pressure is applied. Please let me know how it goes!

Re: METHOD: Tongue Pressure for Anxiety Relief

Have you got references for this? It would make interesting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Have you got references for this? It would make interesting reading.
    Sorry, it is my own work taken from 9 years' yoga and meditation experience.

Did you try it?

Will give it a try. Has tobe better than EFT tapping

I'm trying it now and it does seem to help if only because I'm focusing on something

Thread Information