Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this depersonalization or something worse

is this depersonalization or something worse

I have posted in this forum before with my fears of schizophrenia. I had moved on from that but now some things have come up that have me worried. I am starting to learn about depersonalization but I am not sure if this is a symptom.

I was with my sister at the nail salon and we were talking and I said something to her but in my mind, I was going to say something else but I didn't. it bothered me because in my head I could see me saying it to her but it didn't come out then for a split second I felt a deja vu moment. It scared me so bad because I have this fear of going crazy or being in psychosis and I am always thinking am I acting normal? am I talking normal? why am I doing something is it normal? I am so afraid of going crazy I think I am losing touch with myself. I seem to be losing words and when I talk I seem to be fumbling over my words. I sometimes seem spaced out and on edge waiting for a psychosis moment to happen.

I have had anxiety all my life but I have never had this kind of reaction (or at least I can't remember).

Does depersonalization make you feel like you are talking when you aren't? does it cause you not feel like you are losing your intelligence and ability to speak? I am so afraid I am losing my mind I don't know what to do.

Re: is this depersonalization or something worse

I can't say for certain what shapes and forms depersonalisation can take, but what I can say for certain is that anxiety has many, many different forms and it manifests itself through a variety of different, ever-changing symptoms. Dp/dr would make my brain feel foggy and my mind clouded; it'd make me have strange, intrusive thoughts, making me feel unreal and on the edge of losing my mind.

Before I had a more profound understanding of what anxiety is and of what it does to the mind, I used to fear going insane, or slipping into psychosis. However, it's not possible to simply flip from anxiety (which is a neurosis) to a psychosis. It doesn't quite work that way. The fact that you're self-aware and observant of your behaviour makes it unlikely that you are a schizophrenic.

My best guess would be that the deja vu phenomenon scared you and brought the dp on. Your mind was trying to find the answer to what had happened, at the same time questioning its sanity which, I think, is untouched.

I guess i dont undestand how all of this works. I really dont know whatthe symtoms of dp are because i never thought about it. Im just so scared of losing control and not being able to live my life again. Does anyone recommend any self help ways to help ease this? Will klonopin help or make me worse?

Klonopin will help. Anti-depressants, more specifically, SSRIs ease dp symptoms. This proved to be a useful read:
    http://depersonalizationrecovery.com...tion-disorder/

thank you so much.... I just want to be back to myself and not always anxious and checking to make sure im still sane lol

I know the feeling,trust me! I'm also very frightened by how depersonalisation makes me feel,but it's important to keep reminding yourself that it's just anxiety and nothing else. Give yourself time to recover and feel less tense again. In the meantime,do your best to function and work with anxiety as it can't harm you.

These last few days i have been thinking i was schizophrenic even after being told i am not.... but im thinking this is depersonalization or some kind of anxiety symptom..has anyone else had these type of symptoms? Can depersonalization make your dreams even odd or strange?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysmar09 View Post
    These last few days i have been thinking i was schizophrenic even after being told i am not.... but im thinking this is depersonalization or some kind of anxiety symptom..has anyone else had these type of symptoms? Can depersonalization make your dreams even odd or strange?
    Hi.

This is so me! Just after I thought of schizophrenia/some mental illness and started worrying about it, my dreams got more vivid and the overall quality of my sleep decreased, although it'd been fine before that. For example, I wake up early in the morning with a small panic attack, trying to figure out if that had been a dream or a hallucination (a dream, indeed).

I'm sure that if you had schizophrenia, it'd have been picked up by someone, either by your family, friends or therapist/doctor if you're seeing one. We just need to accept we don't have it and be grateful for that.

Have a nice day.

I have seen drs and therapist and they all said I dont have it. Its just a new weird symptom will come up and Id freak out and feel like I need to tell them so they can fully know what I am experiencing and diagonse me. Its awful at times and im learning to let this go but Im not sure how long it takes to get over this

If any of you look at my older posts, I use to experince this ALL the time. I still get messages from the posts I made about two years ago. I hope I can ease your minds with my advice. I developed DP/DR from smoking marijuana. It derailed my life for some time and it was awful. Full blown panic attacks, I felt like I was on the edge of insanity everyday and I hated it. Every time I'd look outside it would feel foggy. I'd be unattached from conversations and feel like my voice was not my own. The most simple and best advice I've gotten was to just accept it. This may sound dumb, or corny but once I accepted this is how I felt and stopped trying to nit pick at it and figure out why I was feeling that way. The DP/DR slowly faded away. I promise you that the feeling fades away. I promise you're not schizophrenic. I was convinced I was schizophrenic and that at any moment I would start hearing voices and it was awful. You don't exhibit any symptoms of schizophrenia. Feeling disconnected and being disconnected are two separate things. If you were to be disconnected from reality you wouldn't know it. The insane do not know they're insane. I rwally hope this helps and if you need any advice just message me. I'm always here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information