Thread: Existential anxiety causing DR/DP?

Existential anxiety causing DR/DP?

Hi all,

I've found a couple of useful posts regarding existential anxiety but they're all quite old.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone around atm who suffers with this?

It hit me around 2 weeks ago and keeps coming back. I'm almost certain it's become an OCD. My mind is obsessing over the big questions: "What is reality?" "What am I?" "How do I know this isn't all a dream" etc.

I've always been interested in religion, science and philosophy. But since my big panic attack a few weeks ago, I can't face these topics anymore without experiencing utter dread and then panic attacks.

Can anyone relate?

Re: Existential anxiety causing DR/DP?

Yes, I have had this for over a year now. It's horrible, but it can improve with time. I have obsessed over the exact same things, with the panic attacks...etc. Any tips I have would be regularly to avoid cannabis and most drugs as this can usually exacerbate it. Alcohol has been alright for me a couple of times a week. Know you're definitely not alone and it's quite common. It's usually caused by prolonged severe anxiety, and/or trauma.

I've definitely had those thoughts before. It is why I avoid thinking about topics such as reality and existentialism at all cost!
    Try mindfulness, just feeling your body, observing your breath, heartbeat and surroundings. Remind yourself that you do exist, that you have family/friends/job and that everything is ok.

Thanks both. I would totally agree with avoiding cannabis. I smoked daily for around 4 years in my teens (13 years ago now) and had some extreme panic attacks, but these were induced by cannabis and paranoia along with low blood pressure. Not a good combo!

I avoid those topics atm too. I've taken all of my philosophy books, bagged them up and hidden them until I can cope again. But tbh, now I've been away from those topics for a few weeks I don't feel the need to go back to them anytime soon.

Mine came on due to a very long period of anxiety and agoraphobia. I would stay in every day, work (I work from home) and then just binge watch documentaries and science lectures and podcasts on youtube. My brain was bombarded with info and no fun for years.

The weird thing is, since the big panic attack I have been out every single day. The fear I have felt then and since is so much worse than agoraphobia! lol.

I've found this website so helpful. And all the info is free! The therapy dialogues are brilliant. http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information