Thread: Valerian Root and Panic Attacks

Valerian Root and Panic Attacks

Hello everyone!

I see there are several posts on here about Valerian root, but I wanted to add some more information to the topic.

Valerian is an herb native to Europe and Asia, and its root has sedative and anti-anxiety properties. It is sold in different forms, such as capsules or ground up root that you can buy in bulk.

My experience with Valerian is a positive one! I use it in both forms mentioned above for different levels of anxiety. For general anxiety, there are extended-release capsules that will last for several hours. Sometimes I take one of these before bed to help me fall asleep and stay asleep.

I primarily use it for panic attacks, the dried, ground-up root is very effective in this case. This you can brew into a tea. I usually make enough for two mugs of tea, using two to four tablespoons of the root. If you are having a panic attack and cannot calm down, make this tea and drink both cups. You will start to feel VERY drowsy and sedated within 30mins to an hour, and then just fall asleep. Obviously the dosage may be different for each individual, but you can also take one of the capsules with your tea if you find that it is not enough.

For panic attacks and anxiety-related insomnia, Valerian root has been a lifesaver for me. The tea I have found to be just as effective as Xanax in stopping a panic attack in its tracks and finally allowing me to get some rest. For daily use it might be a bit too drowsy at the dosage some of us would need to quell our anxiety, but for some people I think it can work wonders.

Re: Valerian Root and Panic Attacks

I have valerian growing in my garden and have propagated new young plants by seed.

Valerian roots works indeed

Considering picking up some valerian root capsules and see if they would help any. Can’t hurt right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    Considering picking up some valerian root capsules and see if they would help any. Can’t hurt right?

If you are on antidepressants there are interactions so check that out. The interactio checker on Drugs.com will do it for you and it does include Valerian (unlike many herbs) as I've used it for that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    If you are on antidepressants there are interactions so check that out. The interactio checker on Drugs.com will do it for you and it does include Valerian (unlike many herbs) as I've used it for that in the past.

I’m actually completely unmediated but thank you for looking out for me though!

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Valerian is actually the natural unmedicalised drug vallium, which can make you feel relaxed but I find it useless, and having tried valarian and also st johns wort with no beneficial effect I would not recommend it, I think you would have to have milk symptoms for it to help.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

well I have actual vallium an it doesnt do anything much and i certainly wouldnt get addicted to it, but its supposed to be a lot stronger than the natural one.

Can never forget the entrancing stench of valerian root, I would take so many herbal tablets for months on end to try and find slumber when my sleeping was truly epic in how thin it stretched lol, I love the smell but I was never affected by them, I'm sure they help people, my brain is just not receptive to anything that is not heavily sedating if I need to sleep. I don't even know if it calmed me down because I was always days without much rest when I took them so wasn't a priority to test the effectiveness on anxiety and taking things down a couple pegs. It barely made a dent in my drowsy metre but I kept taking them until I bit the bullet and waded into artificial things, sometimes you have to go to the altar of modern medicine, if I could rely on herbal stuff I would.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Thread Information