Thread: Please help - is this depersonalization?

Please help - is this depersonalization?

Hi

I would really like to hear from anyone who has overcome this and how they did it! I've had anxiety and panic before and am going through it again but the feelings I'm having now are new and I'm very scared. It started with my voice not sounding like mine and then I didn't really recognise myself in the mirror. I think the feelings are subsiding but I still don't feel like me. My doctor said it is depersonalization and I've started on Anafranil and am now scared that even if the symptoms go away I'll never find myself again or feel like me. It's as though I don't really know who I am any more (I mean my personality, what makes me who I am - it's very hard to explain). Do the feelings just go gradually until you don't notice it any more and you're back to your normal self? At best I feel uncomfortable with myself and at worst I'm scared to death! I feel uncomfortable speaking to people because the feelings will suddenly come over me and it's hard to pretend to be normal. I just think how can I carry on doing things when I'm not really me.

Thanks.

Julie

Re: Please help - is this depersonalization?

hi hun... i used to feel exactly like like that... i not really sure how it went, i think just over time it subsided until i just didnt get it anymore.... i think the less i feared it the less it happened.... its just all apart of the anxiety, if you try and deal with that the feeling of depersonalisation/derealisation will go... i personally think this is the worst aspect of anxiety by far... firstly cos its so scary when youre experiancing it, and secondly cos its so hard for others to understand how youre feeling. that ultimately led me to feeling more alone. but it does go, have you tried CBT or anything???

Thanks for replying, it helps to know that it's not just me! (although I don't think that anyone should have to have these feelings). Trouble is my anxiety is focussed on the depersonalization feelings - it's a vicious circle!

Juliexxx

hi hun ive had depersonalization for some years now it comes and goes and yes its the worse ever symptom of anxiety at the moment i feel as thou my voice is going even thou everyone says i sound the same i dont think i look the same when i look in the mirror i dont recognise myself i no in time it will pass so please dont let it stress u out i do sympothise with you and no were your coming from but it will pass honest

Hi Julie,

I've had this off and on - sometimes lasting for a month at a time... It feels a bit like you're watching your life on TV, questioning whether things are really real. I liken it a bit to back when I was a kid and had all sorts of existential thoughts, bit like the Truman Show! "Maybe the rest of the world isn't real, and it's all a test" or whatever.

Quite often this comes with lightheadedness, so the whole world feels wierd. I get disoriented, forgetful, and wonder whether I'll really ever be 'me' again.

It does pass though. I've had it a few times, and each time it feels horrible, but the best thing is to keep thinking 'i'll go back to normal when i'm ready' - don't wish it to go away or you'll stress it's still there

Nick.

Thread Information