Thread: ESA support group

ESA support group

Hi everyone, after having a medical assessment in February I got a letter to say I was being put in the support group instead of the work focused group. What exactly is different about the support group and will I receive another letter soon? Thanks for any input you can give me.

Re: ESA support group

Quote Originally Posted by ian1982 View Post
    Hi everyone, after having a medical assessment in February I got a letter to say I was being put in the support group instead of the work focused group. What exactly is different about the support group and will I receive another letter soon? Thanks for any input you can give me.
    Support group means you don't have to attend Work related activities. You receive more money. You also don't need to hand in sick notes. That's my understanding as I was originally passed fit but took the DWP to tribunal which I won and was put in the support group. That was over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting so it takes time.

Thanks for the input Matt, guess I'll wait for another letter to come from the job centre.

How long does this whole process take? I'm in the middle of taking the dwp to court to challenge their revokation of my PIP. I've got a solicitor who is helping me for free (I'll pass on any tips I learn from him). The nightmare over my PIP has gone on for a year and a half, so I'm expecting their handling of my ESA application to be as cack-handed and unprofessional as possible. It's handled by Capita, and having worked for Capita, I know the company is target focused and does not care whatsoever about the applicants, so long as the dwp pays them for hitting their targets.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi Ian
    I got a letter in march telling me I was going in support group.
    You don't Have to attend job centre for work related activities.

I believe the JC can contact you to come for an interview (to see if you WANT any help in trying to find ways to become work ready in the future. But you don't HAVE to attend these interviews and the JC can conduct telephone interviews instead.

You should get a letter within a few weeks telling you about your benefit payments although you may get the increased benefit paid into your account before you get the actual letter.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPoet View Post
    How long does this whole process take? I'm in the middle of taking the dwp to court to challenge their revokation of my PIP. I've got a solicitor who is helping me for free (I'll pass on any tips I learn from him). The nightmare over my PIP has gone on for a year and a half, so I'm expecting their handling of my ESA application to be as cack-handed and unprofessional as possible. It's handled by Capita, and having worked for Capita, I know the company is target focused and does not care whatsoever about the applicants, so long as the dwp pays them for hitting their targets.
    I first went off ill in August 2014, didn't have my medical until July 2015 which I failed. I took it to tribunal in August 2015 and didn't get a tribunal appeal until 22nd April 2016. I won the tribunal and was placed in the support group and things still aren't fully sorted! The DWP drag their heels at every stage. Don't give up!

Thread Information