Thread: Severe depression / Panic attacks

Severe depression / Panic attacks

Hi.

I'm a newcomer to this forum.

Nice to meet you all.

I've been struggling with depression for many years now. Recently, it developed into full-blown anxiety-attack, panic attacks sometimes.

I have been seeing a psychotherapist since June last year. It helps. He knows his job.

But......I am still far from getting better.

One aspect of my problem is I live in a country where this issue is still not handled efficiently : FINLAND. The issue of depression is widely-known here, but they have no effective methods of dealing with it.........besides pumping one full of pills.

I moved here 11 years ago. The adjustment was cruel. A few times I thought about packing it in, and leaving. But, I stuck with it. I learned the local language........got a full-time job......tried my best to involve myself in social networks, so I could meet and make new friends. etc, etc

I thought this would solve everything. It sure made it easier, but there was so much lacking. My biggest problem is a lack of friends. I have nobody to whom I can turn to for help...........or just someone to call up and talk, meet for coffee. Just a friendly face.

I'm a 38-year-old, recently-divorced male, living alone

I am still lucid enough to realize that the "living alone" part is probably the worst aspect of my life now. I find that I cannot stay in the apartment more than 5 minutes without falling into an abyss-like anxiety episode, where I lose touch with reality.

Lately, I have been trying my best to avoid coming home to early. I go to work, and then I am done, I try to stay outside as much as I can. I even walk home sometimes (a distance of 15 km), just so that I wont get home too early, where I'll be alone again. When I eventually get home, I am too tired to do anything besides take a shower and collapse into bed

Weekends are the worst. Having no job to go to on saturdays and sundays, I simply go out. Walk.........jog...........sit in a cafe or bar...........anything, to avoid staying home (((((

I came on this forum to talk. Meet like-minded people, and just talk :(

I cant talk to anyone where I live (besides my therapist)

Re: Severe depression / Panic attacks

Welcome to the forum! This site has provided me with so much support. I really feel much better since joining. You have found the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseEve View Post
    Welcome to the forum! This site has provided me with so much support. I really feel much better since joining. You have found the right place.
    Thank you, RoseEve ))

I think loneliness is very underrated. Chronic loneliness can be completely debilitating. For people who haven't experienced it, it's impossible to truly appreciate how it gnaws away at you, leaving a bigger and bigger pit until you feel like it's consuming all your waking hours.

I know what it's like to feel empty because there's no one to call to do something as simple as go out for pizza. I yearn for companionship and long for a time when I found it easier to mix with others and make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Round in circles View Post
    I think loneliness is very underrated. Chronic loneliness can be completely debilitating. For people who haven't experienced it, it's impossible to truly appreciate how it gnaws away at you, leaving a bigger and bigger pit until you feel like it's consuming all your waking hours.

I know what it's like to feel empty because there's no one to call to do something as simple as go out for pizza. I yearn for companionship and long for a time when I found it easier to mix with others and make friends.
    Hi.

Are you able to cope somehow? Are you experiencing just loneliness.........or something more?

Please share with me. We could use PM

-Steve

I've got lots of issues. Isolation and loneliness are probably the worst. I hardly leave the house after two traumatic incidents many years ago. As a result i lost my job and my social supports. I have complex PTSD, social phobia, asperger's syndrome, anxiety, depression, eating disorder, IBS. I've probably left something out but oh well.

I don't cope with it. Some days I barely feel like I'm existing when the sense of hopelessness and the realisation of my situation hits hard, but it is what it is. For a long time I forgot what it feels like to have hope, but in the last few months I've felt compelled to work towards something better. I don't know if it will work but that glimmer of hope, the yearning for something more is far more than I've had for a very long time. That's got to count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Round in circles View Post
    I've got lots of issues. Isolation and loneliness are probably the worst. I hardly leave the house after two traumatic incidents many years ago. As a result i lost my job and my social supports. I have complex PTSD, social phobia, asperger's syndrome, anxiety, depression, eating disorder, IBS. I've probably left something out but oh well.

I don't cope with it. Some days I barely feel like I'm existing when the sense of hopelessness and the realisation of my situation hits hard, but it is what it is. For a long time I forgot what it feels like to have hope, but in the last few months I've felt compelled to work towards something better. I don't know if it will work but that glimmer of hope, the yearning for something more is far more than I've had for a very long time. That's got to count for something.

I sent you a PM with my email.

Let's talk some more

Quote Originally Posted by panic_deep View Post
    Hi.
    hello you are not alone, stay strong and you can talk to me.
    you will get better.

I'm a newcomer to this forum.

Nice to meet you all.

I've been struggling with depression for many years now. Recently, it developed into full-blown anxiety-attack, panic attacks sometimes.

I have been seeing a psychotherapist since June last year. It helps. He knows his job.

But......I am still far from getting better.

One aspect of my problem is I live in a country where this issue is still not handled efficiently : FINLAND. The issue of depression is widely-known here, but they have no effective methods of dealing with it.........besides pumping one full of pills.

I moved here 11 years ago. The adjustment was cruel. A few times I thought about packing it in, and leaving. But, I stuck with it. I learned the local language........got a full-time job......tried my best to involve myself in social networks, so I could meet and make new friends. etc, etc

I thought this would solve everything. It sure made it easier, but there was so much lacking. My biggest problem is a lack of friends. I have nobody to whom I can turn to for help...........or just someone to call up and talk, meet for coffee. Just a friendly face.

I'm a 38-year-old, recently-divorced male, living alone

I am still lucid enough to realize that the "living alone" part is probably the worst aspect of my life now. I find that I cannot stay in the apartment more than 5 minutes without falling into an abyss-like anxiety episode, where I lose touch with reality.

Lately, I have been trying my best to avoid coming home to early. I go to work, and then I am done, I try to stay outside as much as I can. I even walk home sometimes (a distance of 15 km), just so that I wont get home too early, where I'll be alone again. When I eventually get home, I am too tired to do anything besides take a shower and collapse into bed

Weekends are the worst. Having no job to go to on saturdays and sundays, I simply go out. Walk.........jog...........sit in a cafe or bar...........anything, to avoid staying home (((((

I came on this forum to talk. Meet like-minded people, and just talk :(

I cant talk to anyone where I live (besides my therapist)

hello we are here to help each other you are not alone.

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by shining bright View Post
    hello we are here to help each other you are not alone.

Angie
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Angie :(

PM me your email.

Thread Information