Thread: Waiting for smear test results

Waiting for smear test results

I went for my first smear test last Thursday, I'm almost 31 and not proud to say I've been putting it off for a long time. I was pregnant when it was first due then just kept putting it off. The last month or so I've finally been in a place where I've felt strong enough to deal with the results so I booked it. It was absolutely fine, didn't hurt and was over within minuets and I felt so blooming proud that id faced my fears of starting a whole new spiral of what ifs that I totally forgot I now have to wait for the results!! I thought that was it now reality is setting it could be up to 6 weeks I'm only 6 days into the wait and my mind is starting to worry. I've been telling myself this worry is worth it it's to prevent anything nasty in the future and the results might come back fine I've got as much chance of them being clear as them not.

Anyone else waiting and feeling the same?

Re: Waiting for smear test results

I'm not waiting for any tests at the moment, I've never gad a smear either as I've always put those off since my first two, but I have had to wait for results in the past and I can tell you the best thing to try and do is distract yourself, if it was anything bad they'd call you early they dud when my blood tests went wrong x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    I went for my first smear test last Thursday, I'm almost 31 and not proud to say I've been putting it off for a long time. I was pregnant when it was first due then just kept putting it off. The last month or so I've finally been in a place where I've felt strong enough to deal with the results so I booked it. It was absolutely fine, didn't hurt and was over within minuets and I felt so blooming proud that id faced my fears of starting a whole new spiral of what ifs that I totally forgot I now have to wait for the results!! I thought that was it now reality is setting it could be up to 6 weeks I'm only 6 days into the wait and my mind is starting to worry. I've been telling myself this worry is worth it it's to prevent anything nasty in the future and the results might come back fine I've got as much chance of them being clear as them not.

Anyone else waiting and feeling the same?
    I have severe anxiety and waiting for any test results sends my mind into the utmost fear and panic (unbelievable) - I recently had my smear done & I do keep to the 3 years and always make sure it is done - anyway it came back normal within just over 2 weeks, however the letter I received took about 3 weeks to reach me. If like me you have online access to your GP surgery you can check every 48 hours or so for any update or call them next week and check if they are back. With smear tests the GP wont ring I think, if they are abnormal the department dealing with your results will write to you (this is what some people have experienced that I know) & make further appointments for you and then advise your surgery.

Most likely the result will be normal.

I just wanted to post something on this site as I've found it immensely helpful over the last 2 weeks whilst I've waited for my smear test results! I'm 35, nearly 36 and went for my first smear test 2 weeks ago. To say I was terrified is an understatement. I am an intelligent woman, I did my research and decided the test wasn't for me as I considered myself low risk... until I had my son last March and then it was no longer about me. So, I plucked up the courage and went for the test and I've been living in limbo ever since. The not knowing the result has made me feel ill. I've felt sick every day, especially around the time the postman delivers the mail, convinced I knew the result was bad and it was my fault for putting off the test. Anyway, the results arrived today and thankfully it was normal and I don't need another test for 3 years. I just wanted to post my experience in the hope it encourages other women around my age to go for a test if they haven't already. When you search on the internet for other people's experiences it is generally quite negative but I did find some ladies stories on this site very encouraging and they kept me going. I just hope I do the same! X

Thread Information