Thread: how long can you stay on citalopram for?

how long can you stay on citalopram for?

Does anyone actually know how long it is safe to take antidepressants for, i.e. are there any long-term side effects from taking them?

Obviously you shouldn't stay on them for longer than you need to, but I'm just curious!

Hi Mad Hatter

I have been taking Citalopram for around 8 years now, i have had a few months without them in the past but i always seem to have to go back on them as my anxiety returns, i havent had any bad side affects while on them, they do seem to work for me as i improve lots while i am on them.

Love

Andrea
    xxx

I know they like to keep you on for 6 months minimum. Don't know about long term

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hi, I was on anafranil an anti depressant for over 20 years, came off them for a couple of years now I am on Cipralex, been on them for about 2 years. They havnt seemed to me any harm and I dont get any bad effects from them. I have my upps and downs like everyone els, but if they stop the anxiety and phobias some of the time I think, why not take them. People are on different medications for lots of things like sthms snd all sorts, so why not take meds for our illnes. Take care. Vernon

Hi Mad Hatter,

This is something I discussed with my GP at length and also I did a bit of digging about. There is no maximum time only a, minimum most doctors want you to come of them no longer than a year. The reason for this is you body and brain gets used to them and you will never learn to cope without them. Also there are medical risks such as damage to you kidneys etc I guess it is like saying would you take paracetomol everyday probably not as you know long term it isn’t good for you.

Antidepressants are not a long term solution they are only meant to be for the short term and they won’t fix the problem only make easier to cope with. I’m on citalopram and have been on other meds at different times but I have never and never would stay on them for anymore than a year as a matter of principal. I think that your body would become tolerant of them and dependant that is the reason why. Scientists can’t prove that they aren’t addictive or tell you the long term damage so I wouldn’t want to risk it.

It is all about personal choice and opinion, I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to be on them for the rest of your life or do you want to deal with the problem and live a happy life without meds.

Robert

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses, they are really interesting Part of me wants to come off the meds when have had the full course (6 months-1year or whatever) and another part of me wants to stay on them for as long as possible because I'm scared of relapsing again - this is my second relapse now [V]

Staying on the meds forever is probably not the best solution like Robertc said but I also see vernon's point of view too - I agree with both of you! I'll wait for this referral to come though (GP has referred me on to Mental Health thingy) and speak to them about it, cos I really dunno what to do.

Id like to learn to cope and be happy and 'normal' without the meds but after relapsing twice I dont trust that i can do it alone. ARGH!!!

Thread Information