Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back again 😣

Still anxious after breast ultrasound

Well after a long 8 weeks I attended the breast clinic this morning. The consultant examined me and said even though the gp thinks I have a fibroandeoma she thinks it's just nodularity but would send me for an ultrasound anyway. I had the ultrasound and the doctor asked me to point when the lump was and he felt it and then got me to lie down and went over it a few times with the tool (can't remember what it's called) he then we'll it's good news you have prominent milk ducts and showed me on the screen and explained a few things. Said its nothing to worry about and all good news. Then I went back to the consultant for the results who also said something about ducal pattern but nothing to worry about and to go and enjoy my Christmas. So why am I still worried? I keep thinking maybe he didn't check properly on the ultrasound or maybe he missed something or there might have been something in the way of this nasty lump and he didn't see it. I hate anxiety!!!!!!!

Re: Still anxious after breast ultrasound

Now you have the all clear it is time to look at tackling the real problem which is your health anxiety.

I totally understand because this has happened to me multiple times!

One of the hallmarks of health anxiety is not being relieved in the case of negative results - it's like we don't want to believe it and instead assume they missed the real problem. Usually after a test I'll be relieved for like, 1 day and then start worrying that they missed something. Eventually after a few days this usually goes away, although sometimes I do end up going back for a second opinion (which has always confirmed the first so far).

If it helps you should know that ultrasound is like 98% specific for breast cancer detection - it's pretty much the gold standard other than MRI which is almost 100%. Mammograms are like 92%. If a lump is there they will know what is it composed of on ultrasound (solid, liquid filled, something else, etc.). Anything suspicious would be biopsied right away. I tell myself that when I start questioning my results.

Breast cancer is one of the most researched cancers there is. So many advances and because it is not uncommon, doctors don't mess around. They know what they are doing. Your instincts are all it of whack, do not trust them. Trust the medically trained professionals. You are fine. You received good news. Go enjoy the holiday season

M

I can't stop worrying thinking maybe he's missed it or not looked at the right spot. I know i should trust them and I know I will be fine after a couple of days but right now I'm terrified. What if he's missed it?

I know how you feel as I recently had a breast referral and ultrasound, however The ultrasound / radiologist would not have missed it, they'd be doing their job completely wrong if they did! it sounds like he was very thorough. It means you can relax this Christmas.

I still keep poking away at it! I thought I would be satisfied with the outcome but I'm not. I keep thinking what if he's missed something

Has anyone heard of prominent ducts? I can't find any info about it

This has been going on for ages.

You NEED to get help with this health anxiety.

There is another user posting with similar fears, it would be good if you could encourage each other to get proper help.

copied from a reputable source "benign (not cancer) breast condition. It’s caused by normal breast changes that happen with age, and it’s nothing to worry about."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information