Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerned about breast cancer

Concerned about breast cancer

I'm just looking for some reassurance ladies because my HA mind is gone into overdrive at the minute.
    Before christmas I found a lump in my breast. I went to my doc, she examined me and told me it was fine, just some glandular tissue, but to go back to her again after xmas and she would check it again.
    So I went back last week, she examined both breasts and told me I was fine. That was a relief. But since then I've got myself into a state about my breast. I know an inverted nipple can be a sign of something and I'm not sure if I'm getting one or not. Sometimes the centre of it is in a bit and I don't know if this is normal or not. Other times it's fine, looks normal. Does this sound normal or any of ye ladies??
    Surely the doctor would have seen if there was something wrong, wouldn't she??
    I'm at home all day on my own and can't stop checking it

Re: Concerned about breast cancer

k first off all your question.

Yes your GP would have noticed if it was something sinister. Honestly they do not mess about with these things and always err on the side of caution.

From your recent posts you would appear to be in a bad anxiety spiral. Your HA is latching onto everything and anything to try and freak you out.

Do you have techniques that you have used in the past when this has happened?

It might be worth having a word with your doctor about your anxiety and how badly is impacting on your life atm.

Thanks for replying Elen.
    I do realise that my HA is out of control lately - there's always something!!
    I just get a bad thought about something, I can't get it out of my head and it spirals out of control.
    I don't have any techniques at the moment to deal with this. I'm currently on the waiting list for counselling, which I thought and hoped would have started by now!!
    I just can't shake this breast fear from my head now. I keep telling myself that if the doctor saw anything suspicious then she'd be following up on it. But nothing calms me down. I've even noticed now that my nipples are different colours sometimes and scared that's a sign of something as well. (I haven't and WON'T google that one)
    I just need constant reassurance these days, which is why I probably come on here!

Typically Googling is discouraged BUT, why not Google "Free On Line CBT Therapy". There are a number of sites, techniques, worksheets etc. that you can download and work on. There are also relaxation, minsfullness and other anxiety help videos on YouTube you can watch and apply.

There's also CBT4PANIC which I personally used in conjunction with one on one therapy for depression after my illnesses. It was very useful and I still use some of the techniques to deal with the extreme stresses I'm currently under.

Therapy in general is hard work but if you're serious about getting better, why not take it upon yourself and start working at it? The only thing stopping you is you.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 31-01-17 at 17:47.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quick breast question for the ladies!!

I know I'm in a spiral at the moment and it's currently breast cancer.
    I'm just wondering can/do breasts get a little bigger during ovulation?
    My left breast has always been a bit bigger, but today I'm not sure if my right one feels a little bigger. Sometimes I think it is and other times it's not.
    I'm approaching mid cycle so it's around ovulation time for me.
    Could this possibly be the cause? It's really scarring me

Re: Quick breast question for the ladies!!

Breasts get bigger during ovulation and during your period. They can feel sore , fuller, and more sensitive.
    Having one boob bigger than the other is very common.
    The best time to do a 'check' of your breasts is a few days after your period when your hormones have calmed down a bit.

Must wait 3 months for mammogram! How to cope with a long wait!!

I've had issues concerning my breasts lately so I went back to my doctor today and she said she'd refer me for a mammogram, to give me peace of mind.
    But it won't be done for about 3 months.
    I'm going out of my mind with worry, even though the doctor said she thinks everything is ok.
    She examined me a week ago and said she was happy with everything, but of course since then I've noticed one or two more things that are concerning me.
    She didn't feel the need to examine me today, even though I told her I was worried about a few more things.
    I can see where she's coming from but I don't know how I'm going to cope for 3 months
    On the plus side I'm on the waiting list for counselling and I got a call today to start next week. But I can't see how that will help with this .
    Any advice anyone how to deal with this 3 month wait........
    I'm really so worried

Re: Must wait 3 months for mammogram! How to cope with a long wait!!

On the plus side I'm on the waiting list for counselling and I got a call today to start next week. But I can't see how that will help with this .
    Why?

Your problems are all in your head, so why wouldn't counselling help.

Any advice anyone how to deal with this 3 month wait........
    You could cancel it, and not have to wait at all. Or you could just wait 3 months.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how worried are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10 how worried are you?

Sometimes the worry is up around 8 - 9, and other times it might be around 3 -4
    I just don't know if I can take this for 3 months!!

Despite a widespread belief, doctors know a little bit about what they're doing and they actually do care about your well being. She's sending you for peace of mind, not because she's worried about something sinister. If something were wrong she would work harder to get you in sooner. Peace of mind can seem so important but there are probably women getting their mammos before you who really need to be checked out first.

Counseling will help you with anxiety for sure! It will either help you with the health anxiety in general or will help you or help you get through these next three months. Support groups are fantastic.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information