Thread: Bleeding after sex...scared

Bleeding after sex...scared

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for reading my post.

I'm a 32 year old female and have noticed that recently I've had some bleeding after sex. It doesn't happen all of the time but in the past couple of months it has occurred enough to be noticeable. I notice it when I wipe and its usually pink in colour...it typically goes away after I use the washroom. I normally don't notice any spotting over the next few days. Timing wise it has occurred toward the later part of my cycle - like days 18-23 of a 26 day cycle.

Does this happen to any of you? It is a little nerve wracking quite honestly. I'm going to see my GP and gynaecologist to discuss my concerns but in the meantime wanted to post here. I hate Dr. Google...it goes from saying bleeding after sex is common but then of course it says cervical cancer can be the cause and is sometimes the only symptoms for women.

I've always had a normal pap test. My last pap was this past summer and everything was normal. I make sure to follow-up regularly. My pap also included a pelvic exam and everything seemed to be good. I go to a fertility clinic and have had the following tests regularly for the past 2 years: transvaginal ultrasounds, monthly pelvic ultrasounds, 2 normal saline sonohysterograms, normal bloodwork (hormonal, CBC, etc.). I have 2 fibroids (none of which supposedly affect my fertility) and have always had heavier periods. Periods are 7 days followed by a couple days of "old" blood. I know...fun right especially with such a short cycle :P On a side note, I had a normal colonoscopy in November, normal abdominal ultrasound last Spring, etc. etc.

I had an IUI in December and it was quite painful. Ones that I've had in the past weren't and this one resulted in spotting...again, unlike the others. Apparently that particular doctor is known for being a bit more "rough" with the IUIs. Since then I have noticed the bleeding on and off but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, my husband who I've been with is a bit larger so I'm not sure if that also has affected it. Again, going to the fertility clinic for the past 2 years hasn't exactly made me super excited over sex all of the time so there is another factor...but...the other day I didn't have trouble getting into it lol (sorry for all the TMI!) but still had some bleeding. That said, I'm a week out from my period so not sure if that affects it!

UGH...always something with my health anxiety :(

Thank you so much for responding...appreciate any comments.

Re: Bleeding after sex...scared

Anyone?

Re: Bleeding after sex...scared

It happened to me in my 30s. It was very frightening.
    it turned out to be a cervical polyp, which was removed and biopsied, and turned out to be benign. The next year, I got another one; same story.
    Nothing since then, and that was like ten years ago.

Another woman on the board recently had this "bleeding after sex" issue, and hers turned out to be cervical ectropion, which is also a benign and common condition among women of reproductive age. But she was also very frightened by the whole thing.

The normal PAP test is encouraging; this is unlikely to be anything serious.
    But it's good you're seeing a doctor. They should be able to figure it out.
    The cause is very likely to be something benign and easily treatable.

Best wishes.

Thread Information