Thread: Help with citalopram side effects please

Help with citalopram side effects please

Afternoon, I really could do with some advice. I was on sertraline 50mg for 12 weeks, upping to 100mg as I was still not feeling great. Gave this increased dose a further 12 weeks but again it just wasn't as effective as when I had it 3 years ago on 50 mg for anxiety and felt so much better that I weaned myself off it.

GP transfered me to citalopram 20 mg 3 weeks ago and in the past week or so I've been feeling detached and a bit numb in feelings. Is this ok? It's getting me anxious as with 2 young children I'm a bit spacey and not present!

Will this pass or is this something worrying? Thanks in advance

Re: Help with citalopram side effects please

people will advise that it is normal and will pass-reality is that you will get use to it and forget about it.

This should maybe be moved to the medication sub, there is a section for Celexa/Citalopram, you will find a lot of useful information there, and a lot of people sharing their personal stories.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thank you.

Hi again !

The only advice I can give you personally is that if you tried the other medication for 12 weeks, give this one at least a month and a half.

I had side effects too in the beginning, and I was adamant I was not going to stay on Celexa if they continued. They subsided, most of them, after 3 weeks. I still had a few things that would happen at times during the day after that, and at about 6 weeks everything stopped completely. I'm mostly done my month 2 and I feel great, I could go in detail about the positive changes in my life, just send me a private message if you want.

If the med doesn't work for you and you continue to have side effects, then consult with your doctor again. It's def. not supposed to be like that.

Morning honeycakes, thanks for your reply. I'm delighted that life has improved for you. Think you are right that I should give it time. It's just I didn't get this spacey detached feeling on sertraline, so I suppose it's surprised me that I've started feeling like this 3 weeks in on citalopram. I switched straight over no reducing sertraline down, increasing citalopram. Straight swap to 20mg. Maybe the sertraline is just leaving my system and the citalopram is kicking in!
    Hope this one stabilises my anxiety. Thanks again

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Thanks too courierdude, hopefully it will pass, don't think I'll get used to thus detached feeling......normally on top of this so people will notice )

I had quite a few days of being spaced out, numb, detached as well. That didn't happen immediately when I started the Celexa. At week 3 or 4, some side effects subsided and others started. I have read some people say that aside from the numbness and spaced out feeling they experienced nothing else at all. Some seem to have digestive problems and nausea and nothing else. It's really amazing how we all react differently. At the moment, I'm the most alert, and energetic and "alive", basically, that I have ever, ever been. It's amazing how happy and productive you can be, when, well, you were miserable and living in your head constantly.

I started on Celexa at 10mg and the 10mg was hard to handle. If you went straight from one med to another at full dosage, that could also be a whole other ballpark.

Time will tell

Hello again, I would love some advice again please if anyone as any going. I've been on citalopram 20mg for just over six weeks now and it's been going ok the past week or two. Yesterday and today however I'm struggling with anxiety again. I am premenstrual which I think explains my anxiety.
    Just hate when this happens, run of good weeks and feeling crappy again. Would be great if anyone could offer advice reassurance that this is a blip! TIA

Thread Information